• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

annoying fuse

Cliff

NAXJA Forum User
ok i got a 96 XJ country about 3 months ago the 10 amp fuse that conrols the power doors, windows, interior lights, ect started playing games with me about every other week it blows after putting down the windows so far havent found any shorts anyone out there had anything similar. im getting tempted to drop in a 12 amp fuse but i know thats a bad idea and its only $2 for 5 10 amps so ill just keep replacing every week or so till i can find the problem.

check the harness between the drivers switch and where it runs through the rubber boot to the kick panel for the drivers door. i have sen some shorted above the speaker and inside the boot. also if you pull the carpet up under the driver's foot area you may see some burned up wiring.

That area is where I would suspect as well. Any 'custom' wiring in there that we need to be aware of? Alarm, stereo, GPS, etc??

none that i have done only got the jeep last winter the one thing that dose seem weird is the power windows are always on. i like it but i know my wifes car has the power windows cut off with the key. i havent found anything saying if this is normal or not for and xj

Most power windows I've seen are on circuit breakers, not fuses (so you dont' get stuck with it down). I also remember reading about a mod on another site to make XJ windows always on. Perhaps your's has this mod. I can't find the listing, but someone here should remember the site.

My 89 has breakers, and while working on the door I saw a spark at the boot where the wires enter like was said. I couldn't find a break though, and no evidence of burning, so I let it go. Couldn't recreate it either. The breaker self-resets, so I'm not left without it like a blown fuse would do.

You could also replace the fuse with a breaker designed to fit in the fuse slot. Advance has all types and ratings for that. Some of the critical circuits have them from the OEM too.

well im going to rip into the doors and c what i cn find today if i find nothing then i think ill try the braker that you are talking about

While you are in there check to see that everything is moving freely. Electric motors draw much more current when they are working hard, so if something was binding it may cause the fuse to blow in the same place each time.

I was also thinking that maybe the window motors and/or mechanisms are gummed up and drawing more than they should. Simple test -- toss in a 15 amp fuse. If it blows, you have a short circuit. If it doesn't blow, you may need to clean up the mechanisms and de-gunk the motors.

ok riped into the wiring today and found all sorts of fun.

in the pasenger door worn wires and a few zip ties without the extra cut off that were binding in the window glass. i think tais solves my main problem

in the drivers door looks like somone cut the normal power to the windows and spliced into the power windows power so that they are always on (if the fuse dosent blow any more i think ill keep it that way i like having power in my windows at all times)

now the reaL fun in what i assume is the wires going to the ignition i have the yellow and blue wire cut and spade connectors spiced in (hot wire?) ill look into the hays manule and c what i can find after dinner

comming from the brake switch the pink wire was spiced into

on the left side under the trim panel comming from a bundle with a red connector the (OJ-Black) the (Blue) and the (pink) wires were all spiced into and the wires spiced to them simply cut at the top of the trim panel

and last but not least jamed up as high as posible appers to be a black box about 6x6 with no wires running out of it cramming my hand up there to feel around there seems to be knobs on the side facing the firewall looks to be held up with a sheet mettle bracket

ok questions what has somone ben dooing with my jeep and what is this box somthing factory or somthing half assed?

tuxxj said:
could be some added an after market cruise control.

it alredy has cruise stock and it works fine im starting to think somone shuved a cb up in there but not sure if i can sqweze a screwdriver in to take it out also thought about it being a brake controler for towing but it dosent have a hitch and it dosent look like it ever has ( has a vary clean undercarige)

Back