• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP won't stay running without gas

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, would it be potentially related to the fact that the battery is really low or something else? I have swapped harnesses inside and one of the wires goes to the fuel pump. Now it ran fine before, but now unless I got one foot sitting on gas it drops RPM to 0 and dies.

Kejtar said:
OK, would it be potentially related to the fact that the battery is really low or something else? I have swapped harnesses inside and one of the wires goes to the fuel pump. Now it ran fine before, but now unless I got one foot sitting on gas it drops RPM to 0 and dies.

well put some gas in the tank when the fuel is empty it wont run
DIG IT

but to answer your question it sound like it your TPS might need adjusted.

we ve had the exact same problem with our 91 , whenever we came to a stop it wouldnt idle. the tps is repaired by replacement. the iac motor is our problem. we ve helped it alot by cleaning the motor as well as the intake with throttle body cleaner.

what usually happens is the pcm loses the memory when the battery dies and has to relearn. if you keep your foot on the accelerator to keep it running and slowly lower the idle, it will eventually stabilize.

jneary said:
what usually happens is the pcm loses the memory when the battery dies and has to relearn. if you keep your foot on the accelerator to keep it running and slowly lower the idle, it will eventually stabilize.
Ahh..... I do have the battery unplugged most of the time while I"m working on various items. I hope that's it :D Do you know how long does it take for it to relearn?

jneary said:
it depends, it can be a minute or two. just be patient and slowly let it slow down. it helps if the throttle body and iac motor pasages are cleaned though
I cleaned them about 3 weks ago before getting it smogged so I'm good there..... I'll guess I'll play with it tomorrow again.

same thing happend to mine when i repaced the battery cables took about 5 mins to stabalize had me a bit freeked.

This is the classic symptom of a faulty IAC. That is what actually sets the idle speed on the engine. Pull it and clean it and the throttle body where it mounts. Don't get anything on the TPS.

old_man said:
This is the classic symptom of a faulty IAC. That is what actually sets the idle speed on the engine. Pull it and clean it and the throttle body where it mounts. Don't get anything on the TPS.
exactly, that what we did it, we put up with weeks of stalling but after was like a different jeep.

Actually it turned out that the battery was too dead to keep the idle up! I charged the battery overnight and dropped it in next morning and it started fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Back