• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 35's have different sized spider gears?

tcf26

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I tried to take the Spider's out of my c-clip 94 YJ dana 35 and put them in my 91 Comanche c-clip dana 35 and they wouldn't fit. The bore for the side spiders that goes into the carrier is bigger on the comanche than it is on the YJ??? Any reason for this? I though they would be all the same? now I have to try and find spiders that will fit my comanche and obviously the YJ dana 35 is out. I don't have alot of cash so an axle swap is not an option right now, and I am not paying $338 to get new spider gears from DC. Anyone know what I can do here?

Unless of course it is another MJ 35 or even more rare the 44 (the MJ's did come with those didn't they?)

Some MJs came with Dana 44s -- those with the "Big Ton" or "Metric Ton" package.

Don't know why the spider gears would be different. I don't thik it's a function of MJ vs. YJ vs. XJ. Maybe gear ratio? The D35 does have a carrier break, so maybe there's one size of spider to go with one carrier and a different size with the other carrier? Never heard anyone mention it, though.

tcf26 said:
Okay I tried to take the Spider's out of my c-clip 94 YJ dana 35 and put them in my 91 Comanche c-clip dana 35 and they wouldn't fit. The bore for the side spiders that goes into the carrier is bigger on the comanche than it is on the YJ???

I found the same difference between c-clip & non c-clip D35's, but I don't remember if they were both XJ or XJ & MJ in the comparison, or same ratio range carrier either, for that matter.

You could put in a lunchbox locker if you are building a wheeler.

A quick check of the catalog shows that there was a change in 1993.85 -93 in one group 93-01 in another.
You need to know the BoM# for 93 parts.
Wayne
You could change the whole carrier or find gears for the year you need at a junk yard.

Last edited:
Well I would guess its the ratios..... In 91 the MJ wouldn't have the D44 would it? If I can help I have spider gears from at least two or three different D35's..... As for the bore are you refering ot the axle bore where the axle splines are in the gears? Got measurements and pictures? Then again most of my spiders are from non-c clip D35's.....

I wish I had a digital camera at times likes these. I think I will try to put my ring gear on the YJ carrier and swap it out that way. Hopefully there will be no need for a gear set-up but that comment about the change after 93 has me wondering if the carrier would work and be in the same spot for backlash.

The bore iam talking about is the bore in the carrier that the side spiders fit into. The splines are exactly the same size as far as they go. The spiders even look the same size just that the hole for the side spiders in the carrier is bigger in the MJ than the YJ.

Well sounds like the carrier is different since I have read on here that the break is at 3.55 and my YJ is 3.08 and the comanche is 3.55, so I will just have to get some spiders out of a 3.55 or higher stock s-lip axle. Enough XJ's around I should find some easy enough.

Are the spiders different between the c-clip and non c-clip axles? I thought the shafts were different.

Ghost - they're both c-clip but they use different carriers. The D35 is 3.55+up and we ddin't know until post #7 that they were different ratios, not to mention Wayne's note that the parts changed.

Ghost said:
Are the spiders different between the c-clip and non c-clip axles? I thought the shafts were different.

There is a difference here as well... the c-clip spiders have a recess machined into the inboard face of the gear to accomodate the clip that the non-c-clip spiders lack.

I had to change the cross shaft after my lunch box locker had 100K plus miles on it, found out that the towing package option has the larger diameter cross shaft. So look for XJ's or MJ's with the factory tow bar, those should work. I don't hink the YJ or TJ could have a "tow package". Of course the BOM # is the best way to know.

tcf26 said:
BOM #????? what is this?
Bill Of Materials is a number stamped on the right side axle tube.
on a 93 the # is 605535 or606636 or 605579 or 605534
Wayne

Okay I check a 90 XJ with Stick in it which as I have heard has the different ratio and the spiders were the same as my Comanche. So I have concluded it is a year thing and not a carrier thing. At least that is how it looks so far, and yes the 90's are c-clips which I didn't know. I still thought 90's were AMC but apparently they are the first year for Chrysler.

I ran into this problem installing a Quick Lock in a buddy's ZJ. The Quick Lock was too big for the carrier in the ZJ. We took a trip to the junk yard and hunted around until we found a carrier that had the larger bore in an older XJ. We lucked out as the backlash didn't need to be reset with the new carrier. So, go to the junk yard with your trashed MJ side gears and root around until you find a set that is the same size or cough up $250 and get a Lock Right.

Unfortunately the yards here don't have any c-clips left in them all non-c-clip axles. Don't want a locker for the MJ not worth it being as it will be just stock. I will get some though alot of the Jeep guys around here have alot of d35's sitting around from swaps.

Back