• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Round Headlight Conversion

eric91xj

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever think about doing this and how to go about making new headlight housings. i think it would be cool to have round CJ style lights in front. Anyone ever see this or do it?

Thanx,

eric

I've been thinking about it. Jeep had a concept Cherokee at the Jeep 101 events a few years ago with round headlights and it looked very nice. I've been meaning to hit a junkyard to snag a few sets of round buckets, then get to work on an old XH header to see what I make work. If you look behind the stock headlights, it appears the headers (the early ones, anyway) were first intended for use with round lights. The big issue will be making up a nice trim panel around the headlamp.

This is what you are talking about.

picture.JPG

Very Rover looking!

Interesting - I can't say as I like the smallish running lights, tho. Here in CA I like to make my signal lights as large as possible - fewer excuses (I also do monthly light checks...) The round headlamps look interesting, tho. Do you know if they are sealed beam or some sort of "composite" light?

5-90

IMHO, those lights make the XJ look older than it is. Maybe if you make a setup the resembles the new Land Rover....theeeeeeeen I think you'd have something. Ive been wanting to do that even before LR came out with theirs...priorities. :(

XJguy

Gojeep said:
This is what you are talking about.

Very Rover looking!

I like that -- but it isn't the one I saw. XJZ hit it, it was the Casablanca, and it was based on the old body style, not the 97+.

that looks like a combination of the two body styles. check out the front fenders.

anyway, i think that looks pretty good. waste of money, but it looks good. IMHO

Eagle, that is the Casablanca..maybe you are thinking of the AEV vehicle..the one called Total Exposure I believe, I think it too had round lights.

XJguy

Total exposure didn't have round lights, but it did have a goofy lookin grille guard on it.

total_exposure_02.jpg

fwiw, if you can find it, the scout SSII grille is almost a perfect match to the XJ in size, and looks almost identical to the casablanca grille, but without the rover lookin lights.

WOW...it's true...not only is everyone posting the same questions here as over on JU, but now it seems as though they mimicking eachother lol!!!!!!

Dear god!

Sorry for the hijack...though I know this one isn't posted by the same fella as on JU, but I see it all the time LOL!!!

TOZOVR said:
WOW...it's true...not only is everyone posting the same questions here as over on JU, but now it seems as though they mimicking eachother lol!!!!!!

Dear god!

Yeah -- with the change to the forum software, NAXJA has become JU2.

But Beezil says change is good, so it must be okay. (I hope.)

It'll be okay Eagle...we just have to make sure to laugh at them every time they ask what color they should paint their calipers, and every time they post an "action shot" that's them going over a curb in teh mall parking lot!

wierd.

a bunch of years ago, someone would ask this about every other week, but no one actually went ahead with it....and its been like two whole years without seeing this being brought up.......

good to see the idea surface though, because if it were expertly executed I think it would be a cool mod.

yes eagle, change is good, and I sure would like to see someone do justice to this mod.

do it eric.

Back