• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rattling from t-case...

cito57

NAXJA Forum User
Had the ole jeep in 4hi this afternoon and as I turned to the left I got a rattling coming from the transfercase area. Kinda sounded like the chain slapping. What's up?

Todd

that would be the chain in side the t-case. there are little things you can do or you can go for the rebuild. little things are try changing the fluid and putting the proper fluid back in with an additive. like lucas oil or the like. i think the fluid in a np-231 is dexron-mercon III. at least i think thats what my owners manual said. yea im pretty sure cause the ax-15 was like 75-90. yea sounds about right.

it could also be something as simple as the exaust rattling on the crossmember that is right inder the T-case. With worn motor mounts and T case mounts, the exaust hangs lower, causing it to touch and bang the crossmember... maybe 4 hi caused the T case to shift a little and bring this into play.

just something to look into....

good luck

The rattling is how I learned that my motor mounts were shot after 240k miles. The t-case was banging the underside of the floorpan and actually left a nice dent.

Crawl underneath and manually move stuff around and see if you can re-create the noise. If not, have someone go through the gears with the engine on while you look underneath the rig. Putting a load on it may make some problems more evident as things shift and move about.

Back