• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3:55 GEARS

Frog975

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I tried to get into the tech forum, but now i'm here. I have a quick question about 3:55 gears. I can get a set for pretty much nothing, but i need to know a few things first. I have a '98 XJ, stock NP231, 29 spline 8.25 rear, with 32" tires. What if any would be the downfall of installing 3:55 gears????? :lol: What would my RPM's be running at, and would it do when it drops down into passing gear? Any help is appreciated.

:lol: Maybe it's [color=red:d75c9bdbc5]H[/color:d75c9bdbc5][color=red:d75c9bdbc5]O[/color:d75c9bdbc5][color=red:d75c9bdbc5]T[/color:d75c9bdbc5][color=#444444:d75c9bdbc5][/color:d75c9bdbc5] in Fallon?

Step away from the crack pipe.......you've already got 3.55's, unless you've got an odd-ball XJ.

CRASH

Ok, ok. It's only 106 degrees here. I meant 4:55 gears. I have a buddy, who has a friend, who has an uncle, who has a sister, and so on and so forth. I can get them real cheap if not FREE....

Oh...

...you mean 4.56 gears.
What brand of gears for real cheap if not free?
If they're crappy gears they aren't worth the dollars spent installing them.

Jes

You will have higher RPMs on the freeway but you'll have better low end torque and acceleration. You'll also be able to crawl really slow on big rocks!
For comparison I tach at 3000 RPM at about 85 MPH, that's with 4.56 gears and 33" tires with an .75(about) overdrive 5th gear.
For 32" tires you may not want gears that low, I don't know though, because those vehicles with only two pedals get me confused. :D

Jes

I think you'de be OK with 4.56's, but you'de be turning about 3,000 at 70 or so.

The brand is important, if they are Genuine Gear, beware. They are guaranteed to bust up! Are you getting front and rear?

CRASH

i had the 4.56 with 32s. yeah you will be doing just under 3k at 70mph. i knew i was getting bigger tires so i lived with it for a while. but if you are going to stay with 32s than dont do it. jack

I have 32's with 4:10's and a 4.0, 5 speed and I like it I wouldn't go any taller nor lower it is perfect for my daily driver. 4:56's with 32's sounds like a little overkill. :? I am only running 4:88's with 40's in my truck with an automatic and it goes down the road just fine but is with a v-8 also.
My $0.02....

Back