• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a front axle without....

St3mpy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I've been considering doing the 4x4 conversion for a long time. I want to get a new rear axle so I can get bigger tires (Probably 30's, mabey 31's, depending on how much money I have for a lift). It'll be cheaper and probablu easier for me to go ahead and get both axles at the same time, right? But, I won't have enough money for a new transmision and transfer case at the same time. So, when ever I install a lift, could I go ahead and install the front axle too without a front drivesahft or anything? Will it cause it to sway or hurt anything? Is this even a good idea?

St3mpy said:
Ok, I've been considering doing the 4x4 conversion for a long time. I want to get a new rear axle so I can get bigger tires (Probably 30's, mabey 31's, depending on how much money I have for a lift). It'll be cheaper and probablu easier for me to go ahead and get both axles at the same time, right? But, I won't have enough money for a new transmision and transfer case at the same time. So, when ever I install a lift, could I go ahead and install the front axle too without a front drivesahft or anything? Will it cause it to sway or hurt anything? Is this even a good idea?

Nothing wrong with that, just remember to fill it up with oil :D

St3mpy said:
Alright, thanks!

Would it make sense to either remove the front driveshaft yoke from it or cap it off to avoid collecting debris in it? This is more for the sake of my own curiosity than anything else in case I ever have to drive RWD-only at some point.

You don't need to cap anything off if you drive without a front driveshaft; problems without the driveshaft only occur if you have the old-style NP231 with only the driveshaft sealing the rear output of the t-case and have to remove it

casm said:
Would it make sense to either remove the front driveshaft yoke from it or cap it off to avoid collecting debris in it? This is more for the sake of my own curiosity than anything else in case I ever have to drive RWD-only at some point.
Keep the yoke on it's going to be no more exposed then it would have been if there was a front driveshaft on it. One thing to keep in mind, unless you plan to regear, make sure that your front axle has the same gear ratio as the rear.

I'm surprised no one has pointed this out yet, but for 30" or 31" tires there is really no reason to replace your rear axle. Even the weaker of the XJ rear axles (the Dana 35) will have no problem handling 31" tires. That is, unless you are really beating it severely.

<sigh> Frankly, St3mpy, you'll probably spend more on your conversion than you would by selling your 2wd and buying a 4wd.

And like Don said, your existing stock rear axle should be more than sufficient for 31" tires.

For a 4wd conversion, you'll need a front axle, a new transmission tailhousing with the 4wd adapter, a transfer case with all of the shifter rods and brackets, different rear drive shaft, the front drive shaft, and a tcase shifter bezel if you want to spruce up the interior. And more than a few hours to bolt everything together.

Thanks for yua'll replys, but I have the 3.07 axle, and I'm picking up this for half blue book from my dad :). So yeah, I've thought this through.

any write ups on the step by step 4x4 conversion...i have the chance to get a 2wd from my aunt for very cheap and wanted to know what all is involved(detailed) so that i can decide if it is worth it or just keep looking for a 4x4 model
Thanks

Lighterknot said:
any write ups on the step by step 4x4 conversion...i have the chance to get a 2wd from my aunt for very cheap and wanted to know what all is involved(detailed) so that i can decide if it is worth it or just keep looking for a 4x4 model
Thanks
Congrats on searching although looks like you seem not to have not found the right one as there is one that outlines all the parts/steps. Anyways, I hope I won't miss anything but if I do, someone is bound to catch it:
It's best to have a donor vehicle so that you can get everything of (someone wrecks a jeep, consider getting it).
Parts you need:
- transmission and trasfer case: best to have a mated pair
- front driveshaft
- front axle
- rear driveshaft (your drive line length changed so you need a driveshaft: you could use the one that that was attached to that "new" tcase and tranny you're putting in)
- 4wd shifter linkage and handle or a novak shifter

Than, put the front axle in, take the tcase off, take the tranny off, attach tranny, tcase, driveshafts, linkage and that should be it.

i did the search and found several posts that mentioned parts and i already own a 98 TJ that i have wrenched on my self...headers, rear EZ locker, lift, exhaust, intake, u-joints, etc. I have never done any fab work but from what i have read even though it hasn't been spelled out i assume this is a completely bolt on job? In my previous post i was just looking for any step by step detailed info that i didn't find in my previous search. I was hoping not to have to swap the tranny because of the added expense but i now understand that the output shaft is different and can't be used with the t-case.

thanks for the replies
Chad

Lighterknot said:
,even though it hasn't been spelled out i assume this is a completely bolt on job?
You will have to cutout the hole in the tunnel for the shifter
In my previous post i was just looking for any step by step detailed info that i didn't find in my previous search. I was hoping not to have to swap the tranny because of the added expense but i now understand that the output shaft is different and can't be used with the t-case.
If you really want I think you could convert a 2wd transmission to a 4wd application but it's not worth the time or the effort and you'd have to have a 4wd transmission anyways for donor parts.
All in all the conversion should be doable in a weekend. It takes one day tops to swap out the tranny and tcase (it does help to have 2 people working and a tranny jack makes it even easier). Another day to swap out the axle, driveshafts and do the bracketry and so on.

thanks for the added info, i gathered the floor would have to be modified for the 4wd shifter, but was just hoping there weren't a bunch of minor details i was missing that turned out to be expensive or time consuming "details."
thanks again
Chad

Lighterknot said:
thanks for the added info, i gathered the floor would have to be modified for the 4wd shifter, but was just hoping there weren't a bunch of minor details i was missing that turned out to be expensive or time consuming "details."
thanks again
Chad
Just remembered something:
1. get yourself the tool to open up the tranny cooler line connectors.
2. get yourself some spare tranny cooler line connectors.

Lighterknot said:
that's the kind of info i am looking for :) i have no idea where those lines are located, and where would i get the tool?
Tool can be bought in an automotive shop. Those lines go from the transmission to cooler.

Kejtar said:
You will have to cutout the hole in the tunnel for the shifter

Not really...mine was already cut out, but covered with a plate held in with a couple sheetmetal screws and some kind of weatherproof goop. You have to drill a couple holes to attach the shift housing, tho. The 4 holes to attach the bracket thingy to the underside of the tunnel are there, dimpled but not drilled thru. Just find them and drill 'em out.

Jeff

St3mpy said:
Thanks for yua'll replys, but I have the 3.07 axle, and I'm picking up this for half blue book from my dad :). So yeah, I've thought this through.

Unless I missed something, this is not the axle to use for your conversion. If you're going go to bigger tires your going to need at a minimum 3.55's or 4.10's.

In all honesty having read through your post and all the replys, good luck if its a project car but I wouldn't do it on a DD where you have to have the thing up and running by a deadline. While it sounds simple there will be obstacles to overcome i.e. rusted and frozen bolts etc. No one mentioned anything about ABS or brakes either which should be flushed and bled.

If it was me, I'd sell your current Jeep for a 4 x 4 as a platform to start your build up. You'll save yourslef both time and money in the long run.

Last edited:
Back