• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jneary, evaporator question

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Just a yes or no, is there a shortcut to getting the evaporator out of the 98XJ or does the WHOLE dash need to be removed. This decides whether I keep my XJ or not. Had yellow dye show up in the drain so I know it's leaking, frigging jeep/chrylser with their crummy evaps that seem to fail on everything really piss me off...

RichP said:
Just a yes or no, is there a shortcut to getting the evaporator out of the 98XJ or does the WHOLE dash need to be removed. This decides whether I keep my XJ or not. Had yellow dye show up in the drain so I know it's leaking, frigging jeep/chrylser with their crummy evaps that seem to fail on everything really piss me off...

Book time according to chrysler looks to be about 4 hrs. I'll say NO to the shortcut. BUT the up side is is that I thought it would be more time than that... but somehow I don't think they included take out the dash. Yous should be able to do it on a sunday...

its not really that hard. there are just a lot of screws. the dash doesnt have to be removed all of the way, just pulled bakc on the passenger side. i can give you directions best possible later. just pm me and i will be back on later this evening if you want them.
jeff

My 97's evaporator is leaking too-- dealership told me it was a 10 hr. job w/ a $1000 cost (HAHAHA)

Any directions regarding evaporator repair would be most appreciated...

wurth sells a great a/c sealent that will work if the leak
in the evaporator is small
the sealent is added with the freeon recharge
if you do not have any other leaks like the condensor
the sealent works very well
as for the 4 hour book time
only one of our techs can do it in 4 hours
very shit job

I looked it up thru mitchell, 7.9 hours but DC only pays 3.7 hours... makes me and my mechanic friend suspicious that there is that big a difference, his feelings are the with a spread like that theres a shorcut, he can do S10 blazer in 2 hours, book says 8... Might call my dealer and ask or might just top off the A/c and go dual top 98 or 99 sahara hunting. Think once I get the system I'm working on now back up [damn legacy zip drives] I'll look thru the FSM...

warranty time is different than the alldata/mitchell times. however after doing many of them over the years, what ever we are being paid isnt too bad for an hour and a half of our time.

Back