• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rustys 3" lift

jamnxj

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 97 xj and am planning on putting a 3" lift and run 31's.
my xj is used mostly onroad but i take it offroad probably once a month. Rustys 3"aal kit is one of the best priced lifts i can find. has any one used this kit ? does it come with everything i will need?
thanks for the help and advise,
jamnxj

There is a chance you will get driveshaft vibes and will need a SYE. Try a search on the subject. This has been covered alot

i have heard that since the change of the output shaft on the t-case in 96 that has been a problem, but with only with a 3 inch lift would a 1'' tcase lowering kit fix the problem?
thanks for the help
jamnxj

It might and it might not. You really don't know till you try. The "wise peoples" say budget for SYE. You may need it you may not. There are those who say you need an SYE at stock height. Either way, it is one of the single best investments you can make on your XJ. I know some people can and do get away with 3" lifts with just a 1" t-case drop, but I don't know if it has been done and works on 97s.

thanks for the input Dirk Funk.
The problem is i really dont have the cash right now to get a sye.
has any one else out there every been succesful using a 1'' tcase drop on a 3'' lift on the 97's and newer.
thanks for the help

yeah, i ran rusty's 4.5" lift on my '97 with just the t-case drop. no probs whatsoever. however, it seems to be a crap shoot... these lifts seem to effect individual xj's differently. its almost like stock xj's had no corresponding parts, it doesn't make any sense....it just is.

Other than the vib issue, most people think that Rusty's lifts ride very nicely compared to other companies. Plus, the price is right: Some shocks are almost 250 dollars for a set of four.

driveline issues aside the kit is a good one. I run Rusty's 3" AAL kit, and I'm pleased with it. the AALs are rather harsh and stiff, but the front coils are really flexy. About the way that it should be :) It's a good kit I reccomend it. cheap to!!!

thanks everyone for the help and advise, i think i will go with the lift and a tcase kit and see what happens. hopefully no vibes.

jamnxj

Back