• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Road Trip in the makings!!

My_Little_Pony

NAXJA Forum User
Me and my lady friend are planning on taking a road trip. We are driving from Seattle to Phoenix and back...so a total of about 3369 miles. We were trying to decide what vehicle to take (Jeep, Mustang, Beetle (hell no)). Well we want to take the Jeep, but I want to make sure it's ready to go. So, what are some things you guys would do to get your Jeep ready for a long drive? The vehicle already has 234,000 on the odometer, but it was towed behind a motorhome the whole time, so who knows how many miles on the engine. I have new tires, new battery, new water pump, new thermostat, and new upper/lower radiator hoses. Is there anything else I can do to help prevent breaking down? Thanks in advance for the advice.

BTW, we don't leave until September, so we have a little time to get ready.

Sell the Jeep and buy a Jap car, they don't break :spin3:

Low miles for a Cherokee... just make sure you take along a few tools just in case... some tie wraps, Duct tape, vinyl tape(Electrical) a couple metal coat hangers and a some tire pry's(not for your tires, but for "other" uses as necessary)

Should be good to go...

The last long road trip I took with mine (Northern Michigan to San Antonio) my wipers gave out in the worst rainstorm I have ever driven in, near Little Rock Arkansas... The bar that holds the motor for the wipers broke in half... I drove 65mph with no wipers and I could see just as well as with them... At the next Gas station with an overhang we came too, I took of the cowl, and used a tire pry and some tie wraps to repair the bar, and the wipers still work till this day... (That was at 225k miles, and now I'm at 310k) and she never gave me any other trouble.

hmmm.....the jap car idea....that's a no go!!!

The Jeep is full of tools as it is already...but, I like all the tape options!!

Funny thing is, the other trip we were thinking of taking was to Wisconsin/upper peninsula Michigan!!

Thanks for the ideas guys.

My_Little_Pony said:
hmmm....

The Jeep is full of tools as it is already...but, I like all the tape options!!

Funny thing is, the other trip we were thinking of taking was to Wisconsin/upper peninsula Michigan!!

I'd go that way.... there has got to be a CHRYSLER plant somewhere in MI.!!

not in the U.P. You'll be lucky to find a sober cop to call you a tow truck if you do have a problem. The chrysler plants are all in the Detroit area, about 800 miles from the west side of the UP... Michigan is REALLY Long from corner to corner (Gotta go round those big lakes, and over the little bridge), it's shorter to go around than drive through, but it is perty.

My family is in U.P. so that's why I would go up there....other then that, it's just full of mesquitos. All the times I have been to Michigan, I have yet been to lower michigan. If we take the trip east then, I will have to drive down to Detroit area.

tnomud said:
Sell the Jeep and buy a Jap car, they don't break :spin3:
lol, this is true, take the beetle it will save you big bucks on gas.Unless you plan on camping or wheeling then take the jeep. When my wife and i go on long trips we take our subaru unless its a trip that we are going to go do something outdoors.

Hell no on the Beetle...I would pay more in gas to drive the Mustang. Her Beetle is red and has red plastic flowers in it and flowers all over it. The most I've been seen in her car is when I hurt my foot and she drove me to the Hospital, that was it...even then I had my face covered.

As for the trip, we plan on camping and being outdoors. Also, one of my good friends is going with us. So, the Jeep is going to be the roomiest!!

Back