• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing TCM, how to?

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
Right now I am getting code 66 on my 97 XJ which means:

TCM CONTROL MODULE:

RIGHT ( PASSENGER ) SIDE OF ENGINE COMPARTMENT NEAR FIREWALL; MOUNTED TO THE INNER FENDER---THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE CONTROLS ALL THE ELECTRONIC OPERATIONS OF THE TRANSMISSION. THE TCM RECEIVES INFORMATION REGARDING VEHICLE OPERATION FROM BOTH DIRECT AND INDIRECT INPUTS AND SELECTS THE OPERATIONAL MODE OF THE TRANSMISSION. BASED ON INFORMATION RECEIVED FRON VARIOUS INPUTS, THE TCM DETERMINES THE APPROPRIATE SHIFT SCHEDULE AND SHIFT POINTS, DEPENDING ON THE PRESENT OPERATING CONDITIONS AND DRIVER DEMAND. THIS IS POSSIBLE THROUGH THE CONTROL OF VARIOUS DIRECT AND INDIRECT OUTPUTS

My XJ will go into reverse but if put into auto or any other forward gear it will bog down and die.

I'm guessing my TCM is bad and I need to replace it? How do you go about replacing it? Can you buy one from somewhere and install it or do you have to take it to the dealership?

Thanks,

Chris

PS - if you know tons of about issues and tranny problems, please see my current post about all of this stuff here...I need help.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31394

Back