• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stoooopid newbie question

izzi mike

NAXJA Forum User
i bought some spark plugs for my new /used ride. 2000 XJ 4x4 classic. the plugs have some kind od metal rail or sumpin in the way. my shiddie haynes book says notta about what this is for. anyone out there?
mike

Spark plugs are on the passenger side of the head, sounds like you are looking at the injectors on the drivers side

Wrong,the 2000 has a coil rail(no spark plug wires).You have to remove the entire rail to change the plugs!

nope, its the passenger side. looks like the metal pc. hold the wires down on the plugs. just want to make sure. i'm gonna change them when it cools down to about 85 degrees, 8:30 pm or so.
mike

izzi mike said:
so basicly find the coil rail bolts,remove and pull straight up and off? iz that it?

IIRC, there're four bolts holding the coil rail down to the head. Remove them, remove the coil rail, and you've got access to the plugs. Getting the rail off at the rear once the bolts are removed (you'll see what I mean when you get there) is a pain, but it can be done. Did mine a few weeks ago; took around 40 minutes or so but most of that was spent figuring out how to get the damn coil rail off at the back. Make sure when you put it back on it's contacting all the plugs correctly or you may have stumbles followed by the check engine light - again, happened to me.

Back