• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! In CO on honeymoon and tranny is slippin'...HELP!

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I am on my honeymoon in CO right now, and am having a big ol problem. We drove the XJ from Flagstaff, AZ to CS, Co almost non-stop save gas and bathroom brakes.

The engine runs a bit on the hot sie, by about 10*. Coming up Wolf Creek Pass, the tranny started slipping, and the engine was hotter than usual. I slowed the speed down to let the engine cool, and the slipping dissapated.

The tranny really didnt slip any after that, but I kept the my speed down just in case. Long about 30 mi outside of CS on I-25, the tranny started slipping really bad, and the CEL came on. I pulled off and shut the engine off and resarted it. The CEL was off, but came back on when I started to accelerate. We made it into to CS.

I took it to a shop and had the fluid flushed as it was burnt, and now the tranny is running fine....but I am very tentative about driving it for the rest of the trip.

***Could the engine getting hotter cause the tranny fluid to hotter, burn, and thusly make the tranny slip, and make it slip bad enough to throw a code?***

Please someone help me out here as what to do. DO I need to go out and get a tranny cooler and install it or what?

PLEASE HELP ME!!! I dont want my honeymoon ruined by the Jeep.

Thanks

Fergie

PS-I will be in CS for another day, then Vail for three days. If I have more trouble, can someone help me out in Vail, or close there to?

Just posting this to the Colorado Forum to see if someone in that area can help you. To answer part of your question though, a hot engine will heat up the tranny as well (and vice versa).

Jim

Uno mas...okay maybe dos.

Could a clogged cat cause a problem similar to this?

Could it be a bad fuel filter?

Thanks, and see ya'll tomorrow mroning. I gotta get some sleep.

Fergie

One of the things I have seen is that if you overfill an AW-4, even a little and drive it a long way and get it good and hot, the fluid will foam up and you loose pump pressure, causing a slip problem. You then get into a situation where the tranny gets hotter than normal, heating what fluid goes through the tranny cooler in the radiator, causing the engine to run hotter. I've even seen it puke out the fill tube.

I'm not familiar with the CEL figuring into this since mine doesn't have a light. A tranny cooler is never a bad idea. I will have a pretty full set of tools with me at Ouray. If we need to do some work on it, I'm sure we can get it done.

Find an Autozone and stop in to let them pull the codes for you. That will give you a better idea of what is going on.

And by the way, your on your honeymoon, what are you doing sleeping???? :nono:

Last edited:
If you need a place to work give me a call 719 238 2816 I'm in the springs
Led

Led said:
If you need a place to work give me a call 719 238 2816 I'm in the springs
Led

I apprecaite the offer. We drove it around today without any problem. We were up at Helen Hunt falls and up around the zoo, and the engine started to run hotter like usual, so I took it easy, and there wasnt any problem.

We are heading to Vail via Cripple Creek and then voer Weston Pass tomorrow, so we will see how that goes.

I went to NAPA today and got a price on a tranny cooler, and I have all my tools in the back, so It would only take me a short bit to get the installation done.

It looks like I will be doing a radiator swap when I am back in Flag, or maybe even in Durango. From what I have read, the Modine 2-cores do very well, and I havent read any complaints on them.

Let me know if you can think of anything else that could cause this.

Fergie

PS- "sleeping" is code...

Performance Radiator on Platte Ave. sells a nice heavy duty all brass 2-core similar to the Modine for $125, a few bucks cheaper than the Modine.

Fred

Fred said:
Performance Radiator on Platte Ave. sells a nice heavy duty all brass 2-core similar to the Modine for $125, a few bucks cheaper than the Modine.

Fred
Have you had personal experince with this radiator?

That isnt a bad price at all, but I would like to know a little about the track recod it has.

Quite a storm today wasnt it?

Fergie

Better late than never, I guess.

I've had it in the MJ for a few weeks now, using the original closed system. It runs very cool, even when the auxiliary fan wasn't working. I can't speak for any long term reliablity.

Hope you got your problem solved.

Fred

A clogged cat made me think my tranny was slippin!(similar symptoms)got warmer,and CEL came on also . Id stop wait a while and then everything would be fine , hit a bump in the road and it would "slip" again

I freaked out only having 40,000 MI turned out I just barely dented the cat on a knarly rock and it broke up the innards thus creating a Clog... So take a look at it and if it is dented at all its toast, and aint helpin ya thats for sure.... I wish you the best of luck and enjoy the rest of the honeymoon....

Back