• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caster Measurement

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I have my front axle all set for the new adjustable uppers to be installed. My question is caster measurement: I have a magenetic protractor, that I can place against the front diff cover for measurement. I am shooting for 4.5* as a starting point (about 3.5 inches lift). By placing my protractor against the diff and using a jack, I can get it to 4.5* no problem. Here is where I am confused... After reading a little more into it, some pages say to subtract 9* (for high pinion 30) from that measurement. Is that correct?? Any advice would be great!

In other words: If I set my agle at 10* then minus the 9*, in reality I would be at 1* of positive caster??

Last edited:
My first question would be WHY your doing it in the first place?Castor shouldnt be a nightmare at your lift!Adj upper CA's well fix your problem.Adj ball-joints are a band-aid and can lead to some other serious problems!

Did I say anything about adjustable ball-joints?? When I mentioned adjustable uppers, I meant control arms. Now that the old ones are out, I think it would make sense to get the new ones set at the correct measurement, dont you?? Caster, as I understand it is the end result...

My BAD!Mis-read your thread!Go-Jeep has the numbers on his thread!For quick numbers I just place the angle finder on the top of the ball-joint!

Maybe I figured this out... If I set my protractor at -3.5 degrees that minus the 9 degrees, will give my 5.5 of caster. Correct??

Last edited:
Back