• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED help! Suddenly runs BAD!

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I'm about ready for ColoradoFest, so I stopped at Wal-Mart last night and got a bottle of Chevron Techron additive. When I got home and took the cap off, I noticed the foil was not on the lid. It smelled fine, so I DUMPED IT IN! STUPID!! :doh:
This morning, it run's like CRAP. Noticeably less power at WOT, rough idle, check engine lights and flashes! I took it in and the code came up with an injector issue, but the mechanic said the injector wasn't firing. He's convinced it's electrical, even though it ran PERFECT before I dumped that stuff in.
It runs a LITTLE better now, but still MUCH less power, and the CE light's back on.
How do I get rid of the gas that's in there? Run it out? Hose to the storm drain? :D
Other thoughts? PLEASE???

Last edited:
no shit? what was the code?

27 or something I'll bet??????

yeah, the code says some crap like "injector module yada yada".......

THE SAME DAMN THING happened to me at nac fest.

never could figure it out, and the FSM is worthless to figure out the problem....

I cannot see ANYTHING wrong with the wiring, have them traced right to the ecu.

I think its gotta be some sensor acting up thats making it seem like something else.......

I haven't really had time, or really cared much to solve the problem.

I'll be watchin this thread......hope ya get somewhere with it, good luck!

If the rough idle only happens when starting up after recent shutdown in hot weather there's a recall for that problem for I think 99 thru 01 XJ's. It is due to fuel vaporizing in fuel rail and causes misfires and check engine light to come on. I took my 00 to dealer and they installed heat shield under fuel rail for free under recall. It helped but did not go away until I installed 180 thermostat and electric fan with temp switch.

OK, lets do a bit of troubleshooting before jumping to conclusions. If you can lay a hands on a set of noid lights, that is the easiest way to tell if the ecu is driving the injectors. The lights go between the injectors and the harness. Autozone may have them in the loaner section.

If not do the following:

One by one, pull and replace spark plug wires. Find the cylinder where the rpms drop the least. That is the cylinder that is misfiring. Pull the plug and make sure it isn't fouled. Unplug the injector harness and replug it in a few times to see if it gets better.

If that does not help, you can try swapping a couple of injector connectors. While the injection is timed, it will still run pretty good. Once they are swapped, go back and do the spark plug wire routine. See if the problem follows the harness plug. If not, you have an injector giving you problems. If it follows the harness, you most likely have a problem in the C101 connector. That is the big connector above the brake booster. They are known for being intermittent. Try plugging and unplugging it a couple of times.

On my stroker, the injector problem was caused not by any of these things, but the actual connection on the ECU. I cleaned it up and it has been fine ever since.

Oh, yes, remember to put all the wires back the way you found them.

I missed the hose in the storm drain bit. Some yahoo around here did that and later that day about a dozen 200 lb manhole covers got blown off.

First off, I would never run any fuel additive except BG44K.

If the tank is pretty low, I would go ahead and fill it up.

old_man said:
I missed the hose in the storm drain bit. Some yahoo around here did that and later that day about a dozen 200 lb manhole covers got blown off.

First off, I would never run any fuel additive except BG44K.

If the tank is pretty low, I would go ahead and fill it up.
The tank was and is nearly full.
I really don't think it's electrical, because it ran FLAWLESSLY before I added the Techron. Also, I have no distributor. Mine has the coil paks on rails, 1 coil for every 2 plugs. The mechanic pulled the #6 plug that he thought was mifiring, and it was in near-new condition.
Another symptom...it now runs 8-10 degrees hotter than normal, all since this morning/last night. :mad:

Just talked to the shop. They pulled a fuel sample and he said it didn't even look like gasoline! VERY murky! Some !@#$%^& slimeball put who knows what in that bottle of Techron and returned it to Wal-Mart. :mad:
If I ever found out who it was, it'd be ugly! (Yeah, I know...I'M the dumb-a$$ that put it in my tank!)
Anyway, the tank's being drained and the "filter" replaced. I SHOULD be ready for Ouray this weekend. :)

Last edited:
Bill, have them check the oil before they run it anymore and change it no matter what it looks like, not telling what was in that bottle, I might even go so far as to have them do an oil flush, could have been some kind acid or other nasty chemical.
I always hated those little 'anti tamper' things but you are the first person I know of first hand that ever had a problem. I won't complain anymore about them thats for sure and I will check the seals from now on when I buy the stuff after this...

Bill, have you reported this to the Wally World management? They may have had other, similar issues or it may even inspire them to check the remaining stock on the shelf. If you're really lucky, the item may have been returned and they can figure out who/when that happened. They won't do that on their own however so I think a report (of vandalism?) to your local law enforcement might be in order in case there's been a trend. It probably won't do much to resolve your problems but may help stop another one down the road.

Re: NEED help! Suddenly runs BAD! FIXED!!!

It's done! :clap: Colorado, here I come! party1:
The tank was drained and the fuel regulator/filter was replaced. I also changed the oil and filter. He saved some of the gas that was in the tank. It smelled almost like lemon ammonia cleaner. It had some sediment in the bottom also. Pretty nasty. Get this... He was wondering what to do with 19 gallons of bad gas, and one of his mechanics asked if he could have it. HE STUCK IT IN A BLAZER!! :eek: Maybe carbs aren't as picky...?
Anyway, it seems to be running well. I need to drive it some more before Sunday, but it looks like the trip to Colorado is ON! :clap:
Thanks for all the advice and help...

Re: NEED help! Suddenly runs BAD! FIXED!!!

FYI
It is a prank that some kids play to go to Walmart and put a little sugar in those additive bottles. (I don't see the humor)

Just make sure the foil is on the bottle, or use mail order.

Valve tech makes a really good fuel treatment, and it's safe for a two stroke if you need some for your boat or chainsaw.

Also, run nothing but mid grade for the next 2 tanks. it will help you fulsh out the system.

A kid's stunt....? :smsoap:
If I KNEW who they were, their parents would get a visit.
So they think this is somehow...funny? :flamemad:

I would definately tell Walmart. They should pay for the work. They have insurance for that type of thing.

BillR said:
A kid's stunt....? :smsoap:
If I KNEW who they were, their parents would get a visit.
So they think this is somehow...funny? :flamemad:

Funny you all mention this! Last week I saw the mythbusters trying to bust the myth of different addatives in a car engine and what they will do. I wish I could remember all of the crap they dumped into that poor fuel tank.....anyway this is what I do remember...

Sugar in the tank did nothing at all ran great
Mothballs made the fuel higher octane, it ran better but would probably burn a piston or valve if ran too long like that.

The only thing that effected the way the car ran was bleach! yup bleach and that was only after it sat for the night it a metal tank, because it ate up the tank...completely oxidized it, so that might not even effect it if it's a plastic tank.

:shhh:
It was very interesting!

I am having a simliar problem now.
Ran fine for 3 miles after putting cheap-ass injector cleaner in it.
Went out to restart, and hardly will run at all.
Fuel drained from replaced filter looks pale yallow, and cloudy.
I too have a full tank...

Back