• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which 220V Plug Type do most welders use?

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Just as the question says, which 220V plug do most welders use? Or if they're different, which one does Miller use? Here's a spec sheet for the MM175 but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I've been searching and reading up on wiring, and talking to a couple friends of mine who are/were electricians all week long to learn this stuff. I'm going to wire my garage very soon and want to put in a receptacle that will match any future welder I get. I don't even have a 220V welder right now or I would just match it up. TIA.

Edit: To the mods, move this if necessary. It is technical and relavent to Jeeps because the welder is for the Jeep, that's why I put it here.

Last edited:
I think I'm a bit skeptical about a 50 amp plug on a MM175 with a max input current of 20 amps. I've got a 50 amp plug on my stick welder and I'd be pretty surprised to see that on the MM175.

Never seen any reputable manufacter yet that didnt use the NEMA 6-50R configuration(25 yrs IBEW)!

My Lincoln Pro 175 came with that plug. For 7 bucks I put a 4 prong Twist Lock plug on it so I can use it on the generator and in the shop.

--Matt

egon said:
My Lincoln Pro 175 came with that plug. For 7 bucks I put a 4 prong Twist Lock plug on it so I can use it on the generator and in the shop.

--Matt

Thats a could be "MAJOR" NO-NO unless you like electricity till "death do us part"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back