• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling fan options

BennettXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I took off the clutch fan a while back and got a 1300 CFM generic puller fan. recently, i lost 4 blades at once (that was fun) so now im relying on the aux fan in the NC summer...not the wisest choice. i have the mopar 2row and modine aux tranny cooler, and temps havent gotten above 220 yet, but i need to replace one (or both) fans. i dont want to replace the clutch fan, would like to stay electric.
Ill probably get the CSF 3row when i get the new fan(s), so what are my options? i think someone mentioned a dual flex-a-lite setup. also, is 110 the part number for the single slim flex-a-lite that works in our setup? any way to relocate the rad forward some to gain more clearance? thanks for any help
-Bennett

You can get a 14" high performance electric fan from e-bay that pulls at least 1800cfm and fit it onto your stock shroud. That's much more cfm than the Flexalite 110 can muster.

i had a bad experience with my last e-bay fan (see original post), but if you could give me the name or something of the seller so that i dont end up getting another bum fan, id be much happier to get one off there instead of a pricey FAL

Dr. Dyno said:
You can get a 14" high performance electric fan from e-bay that pulls at least 1800cfm and fit it onto your stock shroud. That's much more cfm than the Flexalite 110 can muster.
You will have a very hard time fitting any electric fan in the factory shroud. There isn't enough depth and the pulley bolts will hit the fan motor, especially if you go to a 3 row radiator. I built an aluminum shroud and mounted two Zirgo 12" (1650cfm each) fans on it. This is the bare minimum you will need. I'm considering going to a 14" Zirgo to help it out. The 14" is deeper, however, and will only fit on the driver side.

Get a ford taurus 2 speed fan. It takes alittle trimming of the fan shroud to make it fit. But once its in there you cant beat it. A friend of mine did the mod on his MJ two weeks ago. He wired it to a three way switch. With the factory aux fan running all the time he kicks it on low at 200 to cool it back to 180. On the trail when it gets up to 230/240 he kick the switch on high it cools it right down to 160 the T stat starts kicking in and out with in seconds. And its cheap mod.

I have seen them for 87 up to 94 thats the newest taurus in the local yard I go. Yeah they take alot of amps to start but the factory only uses a 60 amp fuse in the box for them. They pull about 3000 cfm on high twice as much as some aftermarket. Just got to the bone yard and look for 3.8 V6 taurus with a single fan with three wires coming out of it. Some had dual fans also.

I will try to get up my buddies and get some pics of his. There is very little room behind the motor to the pulling bolts. You have to remove the clutch fan studs and replace with bolts. I am planning this mod soon. He got the last one at the pick in pull $12. I found one at another yard for $20 so I will b getting it in a day or two.

I'm pretty sure that mj and xj engine bays are the same which is why that amazes me. I was under the impression that the taurus fan wouldn't fit at all. I used a 16" zirgo 2700 fan in a custom shroud and it kicks ass.

Yeah the engine bay is the same size. The taurus shroud needs work to make it fit but once you get it in cant beat it. I think you can buy a new motor if it burns up in the parts store for 70 bucks. Or go to the bone yard for another and start over.

I have a write up on my site also that might give you some extra info to work with.

www.go.jeep-xj.info

Just make sure that you use at least 2000 cfm to replace the clutch fan alone. I would couple that with a 97+ factory fan to run together with it.

kid4lyf said:
You will have a very hard time fitting any electric fan in the factory shroud. There isn't enough depth and the pulley bolts will hit the fan motor, especially if you go to a 3 row radiator.

I've done it and there's almost 1" clearance between the fan and the pulley bolts:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/electric.html

Dr. Dyno said:
I've done it and there's almost 1" clearance between the fan and the pulley bolts:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/electric.html

Dyno,
Can I see a pic of your jeep with both those electric fans in place?
I was also thinking of replaceing the stock electric with a newer stock one, and the clutch fan with a Taurus fan.

I have already upgraded my Alternator to a 136Amp from a 1999 Durango.

You can't see much of the fans themselves but here's a side view:

Engine_side.jpg

Back