• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to use to keep dirt from flying up through the bottom?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '90 XJ, and the factory rubber/plastic piece that covers the bottom of the engine bay has been ripped off over the years.

What can I use as a temp fix to keep mud and sand from flying up there this weekend?

How would some zip tied, and cut to fit, rubber mud flags work? They're only about $5 each for semis at Napa.

I´ve used a rubberized canvas, actually worked well. Bought a kit to put in some eyes. Finally cut a cardboard pattern and put in a piece of galvanized sheet metal. Which was a pain.

BrettM said:
i haven't had one in years, and no problems, as do many others, what kind of problems are you experiencing?

If you live in desert country, don´t really need it. But one good mud hole, at most any speed, deep enough for the fan to catch some mud and it can pile up a lot of junk on the top of the motor. Takes a long time with a pressure cleaner to get the dried mud out and often water is forced into the connectors and/or the sensors. Causes all sorts of problems.
Any mud you can partially direct away from the alternator and/or the fan, helps.

I also want it there to help keep things from the road flying up into the alternator. That may be a possibliity of why my last one went bad,

90Pioneer said:
I have a '90 XJ, and the factory rubber/plastic piece that covers the bottom of the engine bay has been ripped off over the years.

What can I use as a temp fix to keep mud and sand from flying up there this weekend?

How would some zip tied, and cut to fit, rubber mud flags work? They're only about $5 each for semis at Napa.

That's $5 too much spent and wasted zip ties.

For those who care to have one, would you be interested in a drawing that you could use to make one? If so PM me.

I have one sitting out and I could spend an hour or two to create the drawing. It has not been destroyed yet so I think it would be easy to model.

Back