• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4:1 transfer case's

hadAjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone run a 4:1 gear ratio in their jeep? or use an under drive such as the Klune V? Is there an advatage one over the other? Thanks

I ran the tera low 4:1 kit in my YJ and loved it. With the auto now in my XJ, I don't think that I need it. It was a little annoying on trails that I wanted stock low range. That is where the KLUNE V would be nice. It is just really expensive.

the major advantage to a Klune is that you have more options for ratios. you can do just the t-case for 2.72:1, just the Klune for 4:1, or both for 10.88:1.

the disadvantages are that it costs more and adds length to the driveline, meaning you'll need new driveshafts.

I don't like the 4-1 TC kit case it comits you do just that low range while the Klune aslo you to retain the stock TC ratio.

I don't think the Kulne has to add that much more length if your creative. On mine (89 auto)the is a spacer between the tranny and t-case that looks like it could be replaced with a crawl box just about perfectly.

BrettM, do you mean the whole 231 with 4:1 is $900, or just the kit to make it 4:1 is $900?
$1400 isn't that bad when you consider buying new Limited slips or lockers front and rear, and new gear sets too. Aren't power loks and detroits about 500 bucks each axle, and gear sets run about $150 each right?

hadAjeep said:
BrettM, do you mean the whole 231 with 4:1 is $900, or just the kit to make it 4:1 is $900?
$1400 isn't that bad when you consider buying new Limited slips or lockers front and rear, and new gear sets too. Aren't power loks and detroits about 500 bucks each axle, and gear sets run about $150 each right?

A tera low 4:1 runs $1K alone without the 231. You put this into your 231 to change the 2.72 to 4:1. The Klune-v david model with 4:1 is around $2K. A full detroit softlocker is around $400-500 and gears run from $120-180 depending on what axle they're for.

Weasel said:
I don't like the 4-1 TC kit case it comits you do just that low range while the Klune aslo you to retain the stock TC ratio.

I don't think the Kulne has to add that much more length if your creative. On mine (89 auto)the is a spacer between the tranny and t-case that looks like it could be replaced with a crawl box just about perfectly.

It's all in what trails you run, the bigger the rocks the lower the gears.
I have a 4.3:1 and have never regretted it and actually, there are times where I wish I had a lower gear ratio.

The "spacer" between the tanny and T-case is the adaptor housing and to eliminate that would require a lot of custom work. I'd like to see that done although I doubt it's possable.

I have a 241OR in one of my XJ's and love it.................

I just put a 4:1 in my 6 cyl 5 speed. While I was in there I also put a 2 low. I got both shipped under $1000. Give DC a call. Haven't trail tested, only street, but it seems nice. I did calculations on final drive, & it looks like 2nd w/ the 4:1 is a little lower than 1st w/ the stock 2.72, & 4th low covers 1st High. It seems like it'll work out good for me. Here is a good link to Klune install, & all that was involved for an XJ, & after reading it I decided on the Tera 4:1 http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/trans/klune04/

xj_punk said:
go atlas, you'll be happier in the long run. or flip a 300 and put 4:1 in it with twinsticks

A klune-V 4:1 with a stock (DIY flipped) d300 behind it would have better gear options then a Atlas and could be cheaper. The klune would also let you easily clock the d300 to get it nice and flat! Could convert your 21 spline tranny to a 23 spline t-case. Would give you 4 sticks...

How well would a d300 hold up behind a klune?
The klune looks to be a good investment, you can start out with a stock NP231 behind it, or upgraded to a flipped stock d300, or big $$$$ Atlas.

If the d300 would hold up well behind the klune I see no need for an Atlas.

I'll take the strength of an Atlas over a D300 any day...
picture.JPG

...but then again the Atlas-D300 debate is like... Hasta

Jes said:
I'll take the strength of an Atlas over a D300 any day...
picture.JPG

...but then again the Atlas-D300 debate is like... Hasta
but the LoMax 4:1 gears for the D300 make the Atlas gears look small, and still less $$ than an Atlas (especially if you can build the flip yourself)

see for yourself: http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/products/lomax/

BrettM said:
with the 32 spline outputs and the LoMax 4:1, in what way is the D300 weaker than an Atlas?

Who said it's weaker than an Atlas?
Since you seem to know so much about the D300 how long have you been running one? Did you use the LoMax gears? How much was the total cost, gears, flipkit, HD outputs, the D300, etc.? How much time did it take you to put it together? These are all the things I'd like to know.

you could also use the OEM Rock TRAC 4:1 from the TJ (rubby)...

I read an article about that last month. It seemed fairly easy and bolt in.

Back