• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HYPERTECH SUCKS...SO FAR I AM OUT $400 and still no POWER

joey99jb

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so if some of you remember I got a jet stage II chip a while back, maybe 2-3 weeks ago and it wont work with my car for some bizarre reason. So ok, I was like f#$% that I'll get the hypertech thing its better anyway. So I buy one from some guy off ebay at a decent price ($200) and I receive it, its still under raps and stuff. So I am like all happy and whatnot, I want to "power program" my ecu so I plug it in, follow the directions, it downloads a bunch of stuff into itself...then it states this "Calibration not found". I call hypertech and they are like, you need a receipt. The thing is I don;t have a receipt, a got it new from some guy who bought it off of ebay but he didn't give me the receipt. Soo now, the hypertech is useless, the jet stage 2 chip is useless unless i want to spend $600 and I still have no more power then I did 1 month ago. All in all I spent $379 dollars on two items that arent gonna help me in the least bit, unless I spend even more money. I wonder if anyone here has run into this same frusterating pickle, and has anyone solved this problem successfully??? if so PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I want to erase what is on the hypertech III, does anyone know how to do that?? PLEASE HELP. I am frusterated and angry that neither product works and I am still on square 1.

Already did an intake and exhaust....

Stroker is simply too much for me right now, I don't have $2K-3K to buy what I need plus installation...so that is out of the question for now. The chip was suppose to be my last mod for the time being but everything has gone wrong ever since I tried to get one....

Well I'll try & save you a few more $$$ Don't buy a Jacobs ignition. I paid $300+ about 5 years ago. It's worthless, nothing but snake oil :mad: . didn't even know it was there, until it :passgas: died on the last trip.

Rob

joey99jb said:
Already did an intake and exhaust....

Stroker is simply too much for me right now, I don't have $2K-3K to buy what I need plus installation...so that is out of the question for now. The chip was suppose to be my last mod for the time being but everything has gone wrong ever since I tried to get one....

hmmm...An easy cheap upgrade that would've given you real results would've been as easy as a high altitude CPS.
not trying to bust your chops, but did ya ask for anybody's opinion here? Other nice upgrades to be considered are Mean Green starters and Alternators... ans as far as "intake upgrades" look into one of these:

jeep66mmtop.jpg

Applications: 1991-2003 Jeep 4.0L straight 6 and stroked motors (4.2L - 5.0L)

F&B Jeep throttle bodies are available in 66mm and 68mm bore diameters (stock is 60mm necked to 56mm). Some intake manifold porting should be done to enlarge the manifold opening. These throttle bodies have a 3" inlet and are compatible with stock air intake systems (not recommended because of flow restriction) and most aftermarket air intake systems.

There's a LOT of good stuff out there and in here... Just do a few searches

not to bust your bubble as far as i know hipertechIII reprogramers wont work on cherokee's at all i think the computers are not reprogramable but i could be wrong

oh and not to rub in an expenicve mistake thanks for the advice on the jet chips cause i was thinking of getting one

I thought that you had to disconect the battery for a half hour while the stock computer resets itself. Don't you do that for exhaust and air intake?

Thanks Starboard, I'll try that and hopefully (fingers cross) something clicks but my luck has not been so great lately. I can't get over the fact that I am such an idiot in not buying this new, which I would recommend to anyone who is thinking about buying this item. I am gonna try and call again and give them some bs about my receipt so I can have them reset the dam thing so I can get the power I want. Thats all I want, more power. My next mod to my jeep will be boring my stock TB to 60mm for like $30 at a local machine shop around here (should have done this first). I hope I don't screw that up too somehow but I defintely have a thing for screwing simple things up.

Anyone have any bright ideas about how to reset this stupid thing...

It downloaded information into itself the very first time I ran it and then now all it ever says is "Calibration not found".....

joey99jb said:
I can't get over the fact that I am such an idiot in not buying this new, which I would recommend to anyone who is thinking about buying this item.

How can you reccomend buying it new if you don't even know if it works? :huh:

The Flometrics TB costs $365 so that's another expensive mod. I bought a Mustang 65mm Tb for $79, modified it, and bolted it onto my stroker. Much better value.
The Hypertech PP III does work on the '96+ 4.0's with OBD II but you have to make sure you have the correct part for your model. Summit Racing sell them for $350.

From what i saw on trucks tv is that the hypertech will only reprogram one vehicle since it stores some kind of code. So basically the guy got the programmer, used it, then sold it, most likely no knowing it can only be used for one vehicle. If hypertech didnt have this feature i think we woudl all be passing around one reprogrammer to reprogram everyones jeep. Honestly the jet chips dont work that well either unless you have a built engine.( cam, head work, intake , exhaust , ect. ) just having intake and exhaust isnt enough, your OE computer will reprogram to new parameters with bolt ons. The ony time i saw any kind of change is when a bigger cam and supercharger was used on a f-250. One last thing is that obd2 computer will bypass the jet chip after about 100 starts, so you will have to disconnect the battery, remove the chip, drive around awhile, then reconnect the chip.

do you have a paypal recipt or anything like that? Did you buy it from a random person or did you get it from a company? If a company then email then and let them know the problem. Better yet email the person and tell them you want a refund because it doesnt work. And tif they dont want to then contact ebay saying how much you paid and then tell ebay that you want a refund. I have done it before it works. It takes a couple weeks for it all to go though and they charge you $25 but you are out $200 so its better than nothing.

Chris

That is very true olympic-

Its funny how they didn't explicitly state this anywhere on their website. I should have known that it was too good to be true, I guess I am gonna have to band my head on something really hard to make me forget. I won't give up just yet, I plan on calling them throwing different scenarios at them to take this back and reset it...I don;t know but your advice is apprediated.

Back