• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

r&r ac compressor

y2kxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok. so my ac compressor is bad. What am I in for to r & r this myself? Is it extremely complicated? The shop just quoted me $680 parts and labor and that's way impossible. I need new mud tires more than I need ac and I can't even afford them yet. Anybody replaced theirs before?

y2kxj said:
ok. so my ac compressor is bad. What am I in for to r & r this myself? Is it extremely complicated? The shop just quoted me $680 parts and labor and that's way impossible. I need new mud tires more than I need ac and I can't even afford them yet. Anybody replaced theirs before?
Well if you got any freon in the system it shoudl be captured instead of released.... Also which year is your XJ cause that make a difference as depending on the year it is you wil use one gas or the other and it's more expecsive to deal with the older gas.

If your name it is a 2000XJ then the compressor is about $340 online w/a clutch. If the system is empty then its just a matter of removing the belt, unbolting the single connector on the compressor, unbolting the compressor and reversing the process. I don't know whats under that oval shaped connector, maybe O rings of some kind or a gasket, hopefully the new one will come with whatever is needed but maybe not and I would not reuse whatever is under there. Might be a good idea to replace the drying tower too. Then take it to a shop and have the system put under vacum to test, should hold vacum. This also gets the moisture out of the system. Then it needs to have pag oil added and a new charge. You for sure need to have it sucked down or it will not take any freon and the pressures will be way high. What exactly is yours doing ??

Thanks
it is a 2000.
It runs for a while and then when the compressor clutch gets hot it slips and won't pressurize the system. I had it diagnosed at a shop and was quoted 680 bucks for the fix. this is why I want to do it myself. Sounds like I can just take it and get it sucked dry and then r and r it and then get it filled right? Man if it costs $60 just to hook up to the machine at the shop I'm in for alot of money either way. It would be $120 just to get the freon handled.
Good thing my power windows work.

Back