• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear cargo storage

izzi mike

NAXJA Forum User
i have been trying to make up my mind on how to stow my stuff in the back.
i seen the cargo type rack that mounts off of the floor about 18" or so. seen the angle brackets with a deck built and also seen the high dollar locker gimmick. lets face it ,i'm cheap and unemployed. so i figured on a $50 or under budget. the 36" black contico truck boxes have been a favorite of mine for years,cuz they are cheap. the problem is,they are too tall for what i want. so i think i will buy one and chop it and see if the bottom will drop thru the top after i cut it and that may work.anyone out there cheaper than me with some ideas?
thanx, mike
2000 XJ

Cheap? 17/32" plywood and some old 2x2 in the garage:
feb24_01a.jpg

The spare has been disposed of since the pic was taken and I am building a taller box to fit that area, one that comes up closer to the lower edge of the window. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/storage.html

izzi mike said:
i have been trying to make up my mind on how to stow my stuff in the back.
i seen the cargo type rack that mounts off of the floor about 18" or so. seen the angle brackets with a deck built and also seen the high dollar locker gimmick. lets face it ,i'm cheap and unemployed. so i figured on a $50 or under budget. the 36" black contico truck boxes have been a favorite of mine for years,cuz they are cheap. the problem is,they are too tall for what i want. so i think i will buy one and chop it and see if the bottom will drop thru the top after i cut it and that may work.anyone out there cheaper than me with some ideas?
thanx, mike
2000 XJ
well no matter what you do don't forget to strap them , secure them, reinforce them! When my XJ rolled my niece was sitting in the back seat and if it wasn't that I had everything secured to the shelf that I built she would have gotten nailed with a lot of things which would then reach forward and nail me and my sis. Also when you mount it to the floor use nuts and bolts and not sheet metal screws. Due to how I mounted it on one end (sheet metal screws at the hatch end) it ripped them out of the floor and bent the steel legs, but the other two legs held it down (they were bolted through)

I uses one bolt on each side of my steel 1x1x.060 wall cargo rack and when I rolled I didn't even have to straighten anything out. The bolts go through the floor and they are 5/16 I think.

Kejtar said:
well no matter what you do don't forget to strap them , secure them, reinforce them! When my XJ rolled my niece was sitting in the back seat and if it wasn't that I had everything secured to the shelf that I built she would have gotten nailed with a lot of things which would then reach forward and nail me and my sis. Also when you mount it to the floor use nuts and bolts and not sheet metal screws. Due to how I mounted it on one end (sheet metal screws at the hatch end) it ripped them out of the floor and bent the steel legs, but the other two legs held it down (they were bolted through)

ryurabbit said:
I uses one bolt on each side of my steel 1x1x.060 wall cargo rack and when I rolled I didn't even have to straighten anything out. The bolts go through the floor and they are 5/16 I think.
Yup... that's why I'm going to bolt all 4 now.

Back