• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amsoil Specific Question: Controlled Slip?

Black & Tan

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to buy gear lube for the front & rear differentials in my 97 Cherokee Sport. According to the report from the factory, I've got an 8.25 rear with 3.07 gears. I've also got the Command-Trac Part Time 4WD. No hitch although I want to install one in the near future to tow a small trailer (back & forth to the recycling center).

Here's my dilemma...the Amsoil site has 5 different Differential categories listed for my Cherokee:

Standard Differential, .....GL-5
****80W-90
********SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
Standard Differential, W/ Class III hitch.....GL-5[2]
****75W-140
********Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W-140
********SAE 85W-140 Synthetic Gear Lube
Controlled Slip Differential, W/ Class III hitch.....GL-5*[2][3]
****75W-140
********Slip-Lock Differential Additive
Controlled Slip Differential, W/ Class IV hitch.....GL-5*[4][5]
****75W-140
********Slip-Lock Differential Additive
Standard Differential, W/ Class IV hitch.....GL-5[6]
****75W-140

I asked the dealer about the Controlled Slip and the parts guy said he had not heard of any 97 Cherokees with this feature. It's not on the factory sheet, so what's the deal? Is Amsoil correct that this was an option? Should I get the Series 2000 or the 85W-140? This vehicle will be a daily driver in all seasons, with little off-road use (at this time...).

Sorry about the long post, but the dealer and Amsoil have confused the hell out of me.

Not specific to yours but I had an Auburn pro LSD installed in my 98XJ 8.25 few months ago. It very specifically says NOT to use synthetic gear lube with this LSD but to use normal gear oil and 3 specific brand/part number additive. I dont know off hand who makes this LSD from the factory but I would find out and ask them directly if synthetic is OK to run. It did not suprise me as I switched from Golden Spectro 20W50 in my 81 Yamaha XS1100LH midnite special to Mobil-1, did not work, the clutch slipped very badly as the mobil-1 was too slippery, I can imaging the same conditions in a LSD clutch pack happening also. Prior to the LSD I ran Mobil-1 gear oil in both front and rear diffs. Unless it has changed Amsoil only has it's synthetic lubes SAE certified too so look at that also. I did not notice any big change when I went from factory organic to Mobil-1 in the diffs, big difference in the TC and AX15 though that were for the good.

80/90 dyno(saur) gear lube is fine.

75/140 is for towing. You don't need it for an occasional uhaul full of yard waste. If you are towing a 5x8 full of furniture across the country, yeah you do.

If you don't have a limited slip differential, you don't need the "controlled slip" fluid.

I use Mobil One 75/90 synthetic, front and rear.

controled slip/limited slip/track lock shouldn't have synthitic and as far as i know the only place you can get the needed additive is the dealer if it is an open rear end then synthitic will be fine

Back