• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose engine/tranny mounts?

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I've noticed a somewhat disturbing amount of movement of my engine during use and am looking for suggestions. I installed a York compressor off the stock AC and had to do a bit of AC hard aluminum line rerouting to get everything to clear. However, even though the line is sitting about an inch in front of the York pulley and down about 1/2", I see that there is a nick in the line that must be from the pulley. I also see that the radiator shroud is wore down from the fan in this same area. This is on a '98 with 108000mi, stock tranny mount and stock engine mounts. Is this normal? Should I install MORE rubber engine mounts? Should I install a new tranny mount? How do I know if the mounts are sloppy? The engine mounts look centered front to rear and don't seem to be missing rubber. This is my daily driver and I really don't want to add noise and vibration if I don't have to. Jeff

Replace all three mounts with stock mounts. I tried the aftermarket mounts with rubber bushings. The vibrations were terrible. Everything rattled. Stock mounts are the way to go.

The only problem with the stock mounts is that if you are doing any offroad at all, they simply don't last. I was getting 6 months or so with the 2.5L. With a 4.0L they fail faster.

I had M.O.R.E mounts in my old 87 cherokee that I sold. Yes it did give a little more vibration, but it sure did help in my confidence knowing I would probably never have to mess with motor mounts again. I loved them. I eventually got so use to the vibration that I only knew it vibrated when i got in my brothers cherokee with the stock mounts. I saw that rawbron makes mounts and I would probably buy his now if my motor mounts in my new 98 go anytime soon.--------Kyle

Back