• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Herculining the lower parts

woody431

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I did search, I just came up with limited results, so I'm trying to find a direct answer.

My XJ is a 95 Country, and around the bottom is silver trim, well on the doors is like a rubber trim type stuff, I'm thinking about peeling this off and herculining whats underneath, the rocker panels, and was wondering if I should do my flares as well?

I'm getting my new tires/rims within a short while, 30" Pro Comp muds on 767's with 4.5" BS, and I think i'm going to trim my flares in the front a little above my bumper also.

I'm sure I want to herculine it, but should I take the rubber molding off first or just go over it? This is kinda permanent once it goes down so i don't want to screw it up. I'm not really sure what my question is here, but would it be beneficial to do all the parts including the flares or leave those out?

Thanks for any advice you can give me out of any of this rambling..

I have a 93 country, it had the lame gold trim on the rockers and flairs and such. I actually used the rattle can bedliner for mine and that stuff works really well. I just peeled off the rubber trim and got some 3M adhesive remover (the adhesive that holds that stuff on is a major PITA to get off,)then once the adhesive was gone i scuffed the surface of the panels with 400 grit sandpaper and a scotch brite pad really well then cleaned it again and masked off and sprayed. Its been like that for about 6 months and it hasnt chipped off at all. Im a 16yr old kid and if i can do a good job anybody can. I also did the rear bumper and the plastic bumper end caps, and it stuck really well, so i think it will hold up good on the flairs. I think you should definitly take the rubber stuff off or it wont stick as well (not to mention looking weird). I would do all the trim black, (the bumpers, flairs, and all that) at the same time or else it will look funny. I drove around with the back bumper gold for a while and it didnt look the greatest Good Luck

Well, i'm 17, so we're in the same boat. Where did you get the rattle can bedliner? I planned on getting a Rigid front bumper, but leaving the rear stock for now, so I'll do the rear also, how many cans did you go through doing the whole bottom? Did you scuff up the rocker panels at all to do them?

And, do you have any pics of yours?

take the moulding off before it falls off and herc it, don't use the spray junk, get some semi gloss black to protect it from the sun. this was before i painted it
sideview_rock_rail.jpg

I got the rattle can liner at wal mart. its called duplicolor spray on truck bedliner. It has faded a little but it still looks good. I suppose herculiner would be better but i dont have the money or a spray gun for that stuff.

xjbmx said:
I got the rattle can liner at wal mart. its called duplicolor spray on truck bedliner. It has faded a little but it still looks good. I suppose herculiner would be better but i dont have the money or a spray gun for that stuff.
The duplicolor doesn't hold a candle to Herculiner. I used duplicolor on couple parts and even though it's nice and easy to apply it wears off easier/faster. The lower parts of the door and rocker panels that I had herculined are still holding great and they have been on for over 3 years. Oh.. and you don't have to spray the herculiner on, I brushed mine on.

So I should take off the rubber moldings, do I need to use Acetone to clean everything? Will one can of herculiner be enough to do the whole bottom, flares, and bumpers?

woody431 said:
So I should take off the rubber moldings, do I need to use Acetone to clean everything? Will one can of herculiner be enough to do the whole bottom, flares, and bumpers?
I jus ttaped them up with masking tape and was real carefull with the brush.

Yeah, like Remi said, just roll/brush on the Herculiner. I like the stuff. I used herculiner for 6 jeeps I have had, 3 xj's, 3 yj's for the int. For the ext I have red smooth, uv protected Durabak. I brushed that on too, would have looked better sprayed, but that's o.k., it's my trail rig.
Troy

Kejtar said:
The duplicolor doesn't hold a candle to Herculiner. I used duplicolor on couple parts and even though it's nice and easy to apply it wears off easier/faster. The lower parts of the door and rocker panels that I had herculined are still holding great and they have been on for over 3 years. Oh.. and you don't have to spray the herculiner on, I brushed mine on.

Yea i figured that, but im just saying the rattle can stuff still works pretty good for the price.

rattle can duplicolor are 6 bucks a piece. Takes two cans to cover and it works alright. Herc. is 20$ for the small can and it will cover both sides with at least two coats

BrettM said:
herculiner on the lower parts, huh? maybe you need to read this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18595&page=1
:D

seriously, Duplicolor SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS. Herc is good stuff.

LOL yeah I read that from awhile ago..that's gotta suck to be that guy...But after I take the moldings off, I take the adhesive off and should I use acetone to clean the surface of the bumpers and flares?

I used Duplicolor on my rockers, bumpers, and Bushwackers, and am not happy with the way it came out. I thought about using Herculiner but didn't know how the Buchwackers would look after being roll or brush painted. I'm thinking about scuffing up the Duplicolor and going over it with Herculiner, has anyone done this, or know if it'll stick well?

I did my whole MJ in herculiner. Did the inside of the box in black and the outside of the box and cab in grey. Shouldn't get too scartched up now.

Back