• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Portable electrical compressors

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, so I know that OBA will be in my future one of these days but before then I'm thinking about investing into Quick Air or something similar. WHat do you guys have and like and use (and no... I don't want a tank) and what do you guys absolutely hate (I need to know what to avoid). Oh... and the tires I'd be filling are 33x1250x15.

Kejtar said:
OK, so I know that OBA will be in my future one of these days but before then I'm thinking about investing into Quick Air or something similar. WHat do you guys have and like and use (and no... I don't want a tank) and what do you guys absolutely hate (I need to know what to avoid). Oh... and the tires I'd be filling are 33x1250x15.

Kragen has these High volume compressors for like $25. I have one and it filled my wifes 31" tire from 0 to 30 PSI in about 6 min. If you get two of them, it shouldn't take you very long with your 33's.

They're cheap, if they break, so what get another one. Also it is just temporary until you get a real OBA.

Forget about quickairs get something bigger/better.

Currie type air big compressor won't have trouble filling yours or your buddies tires.

mark

Mark Hinkley said:
Forget about quickairs get something bigger/better.

Currie type air big compressor won't have trouble filling yours or your buddies tires.

mark
Great looking compressor... but holy crap..... the price!

ChuckD said:
Kragen has these High volume compressors for like $25. I have one and it filled my wifes 31" tire from 0 to 30 PSI in about 6 min. If you get two of them, it shouldn't take you very long with your 33's.

They're cheap, if they break, so what get another one. Also it is just temporary until you get a real OBA.

I've had one of those cheapos for years. It does take several minutes to get each of my 35s from 12-14 up to 24 or so, but I use the time to connect the sway bar and check for carnage/loose bolts, etc.

lesslimited said:
I've had one of those cheapos for years. It does take several minutes to get each of my 35s from 12-14 up to 24 or so, but I use the time to connect the sway bar and check for carnage/loose bolts, etc.
hmm that might not be such a bad idea...

lesslimited said:

The one your talking about is it high volume? The high volumes are only about 125 to 150 PSI. It's not like the others out there that are rated for 225-250 PSI.

The one I have you can actually see the tire being inflated, if you put two of them in series and added a tank. I'm sure you wouldn't need anything else for an OBA.

I used an el cheapo portable compressor for a while which was OK for stock tires but with 31's it sucked. 33's would have been out of the question. Buying a good portable compressor won't be cheap but if you could integrate that into your permanent OBA system later on it might be worth it. If not maybe you should just put the money towards a permanent system.

Heres my OBA system

I have and use one of these:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...1/storeId-10101/p-667/c-10101/catalogId-10101

Yes, it's cheap and it's slow, but it does air up the tires and the price was right. I actually bought it on sale at Wal-Mart for less than $40.

Now, I only have 235/75 tires on my Jeep and I usually only air them down from 30 psi to 15-20 psi, depending on the terrain. As such, I don't have to pump as much air to fill them back up as you would. With 33" tires you might be better off biting the bullet and getting a better air pump. Still, this one will do the job, given enough time.

ChuckD said:
The one your talking about is it high volume? The high volumes are only about 125 to 150 PSI. It's not like the others out there that are rated for 225-250 PSI.

The one I have you can actually see the tire being inflated, if you put two of them in series and added a tank. I'm sure you wouldn't need anything else for an OBA.

Mine is the 250, like I said it works, just not real fast, and I've never tried to inflate over 26psi. The high volume sounds like a better setup. I'd be tempted, but I'll be doing a co2 setup soon instead.

Kejtar said:
WHat do you guys have and like and use(I need to know what to avoid). Oh... and the tires I'd be filling are 33x1250x15.

ARB compressor.

Kejtar said:
(and no... I don't want a tank) and what do you guys absolutely hate

Guys who do not use a tank.

Really, get a decent comp, and run a tank....you will be MUCH happier.

Rev

Back