• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing herculiner's color

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I want to herculine parts of my xj and I thought I saw someplace kits that you mix in to change the color, but now that I need it I can't find it. Anyone seen something like that?

Kejtar said:
I want to herculine parts of my xj and I thought I saw someplace kits that you mix in to change the color, but now that I need it I can't find it. Anyone seen something like that?

What is the 'defualt' color of the stuff ?? if it's black I think you are sol...

There is a vinyl coloant in spray cans that you can use to change the color of a dash or set as well as the fabric. It works well on herculiner and is available in several colors. You can also go to your local auto paint store and get the paint they use to paint vinyl tops. The key is that the base is MEK and softens the underlying plastic and it is mainly just pigmented dies.

I think the kit used to or maybe still does come in 3 colors, Black, Red, and Grey.... Thats what I read on a few websites that sold it. I dont think there is anyway to mix it to your own color though.

-Tim

Rev Den said:
I heard Herc can cause instability, and a tendency to induce rolls.

Rev
Actually I'm trying to prevent them by covering up the red paint!!

Getting back to the important part (my question) I noticed that I can get grey or red only. I know that i remember seeing a product though (if not herculiner then like herculiner) with more color choices that I could buy and apply myself. ANyone seen antying like that?

Kejtar said:
:clap: That's the one. Now if I can find someone who sells their stuff locally, I might end up with a red/yellow rig :D

Just order what you want, they are a good group to deal with. I used the light grey, good stuff.

Rev

Is Durabak stable when exposed to UV? In other words, will it fade? And while I'm talking about fade, is there a way to keep TJ flares from fading?

Robert

I just talked to Durabak (really nice), and they told me it is very UV stable, works well for exterior applications. I am cheap too. they quoted me $129.95 for red, and $89.95 for dark grey. Both are a gallon and for 3 gallons shipped it was over $30. I think its probably the best stuff out there..but again I am cheap and the wife has me on a fixed jeep budget.....

Back