• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water, Water, every where????

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok, so I thought I blew a lower radiator hose at Uwharrie. Got a new one this week and put it on today. Suspected it was not the hose bc when I pulled the old one I could not find a hole! So when I filled her up (84 2.5L XJ) I started to hear water hitting the floor!!!! :confused: So I ran and shut the hose off and came back to see where it was coming from????? Well it was comeing from below the H2O pump and above the harmonic balancer. So gasket or bad pump? Is the only way to tell weather its the gasket or pump to pull the pump? :bawl:

It's the pump. The water pump gaskets almost never fail. The pump has a rotating seal that eventually can't do the job, at which time coolant starts to weep around the seal and exit the housing around the shaft.

This sucker is pouring out! It is not that old of a pump either! I have to see where I got it b/c I believe it has a lifetime warnty!

Along time ago I became a fan of 'NEW' vs rebuilt. Everytime I have bought a rebuilt or aftermarket pump, alternator, AC compresor or starter the darn thing packs it in. Result is I almost always buy OEM. If I'm going to tear half the nose off to replace a pump, dampner, pulley or whatever I only want to do it once and not yearly.

Back