• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

relocated trackbar, problems..

Twisted Copper

NAXJA Member #962
Well I'm stumped so I'm taking it to the experts...

I just installed the trackbar relocation bracket and now when I hit a speed bump at anything faster than a few MPH, I get a LOUD bang/clunk in the front end. I can't seem to figure where it is coming from.

It didn't do it before I put the bracket on.

The bracket was advertised for 3.5-4.5" lift. The coils I used are 3" lift coils.

before installing the bracket the front wheels were farther to the drivers side, now they are moved over to the Pass side, but not as bad.

I want to add an 1.25" by installing the coil spring spacers, but don't want to make it worse. Maybe it will correct it as the lift height will better suit the bracket?

Still I don't know what it is doing, but I am afraid to leave it for my commute tomorrow as it sounds real bad.

Maybe I should just remove the bracket?

Any ideas?

What bracket?

You want the draglink and the TB to be as parrelle as possible, so if this bracket is not doing that then remove it and get a adjustable TB to center the axle. (PS I like the JKS one :D )

hinkley

have you extended your swaybar links? chances are your swaybar ends are banging against the springs.disconnect them, zap them out of the way and see if it still clunks.also,my pro comp bracket wouldnt stay bolted tight. it moved around making noise. ended up with a few tack welds on it.

Wascobi - You got it! After putting the coil spacers on, it became obvious. Thanks for the reply.

Should I extend the links or drop the swaybar down? I guess getting a set of Q disco's would do the trick?

Mark Hinkley said:
What bracket?

You want the draglink and the TB to be as parrelle as possible, so if this bracket is not doing that then remove it and get a adjustable TB to center the axle. (PS I like the JKS one :D )

hinkley

Instead of an adjustable trackbar I bought a relocation bracket. The drag link and trackbar are parallel after I put the bracket on. I realize the adjustable would fine tune it more, but I was on a budget and the bracket seems to do the job.

Twisted Copper said:
Instead of an adjustable trackbar I bought a relocation bracket. The drag link and trackbar are parallel after I put the bracket on. I realize the adjustable would fine tune it more, but I was on a budget and the bracket seems to do the job.

Did you use a Drop pitman?

If not adding JSUT a TB relocation bracket will NOT make the two parallel.

If you change one you must change the other.

hinkley

BTW who's bracket, a frame end or an axle end bracket?

TrackbarReloc.Brkt.jpg

Look parallel to me!

I assume that is a Pro Comp relocation bracket. You want to keep looking at the bracket to make sure it doesn't have any cracks in it. When I first lifted my XJ I used a Pro Comp lift along with the bracket and that bracket cracked and broke into 2 pieces. Theres nothing like driving down the street with the factory style 4 link and virtually no track bar. Talk about having to clean the driver's seat afterwards :passgas: I think some of the drivers around me had to do the same by the look on their face. :laugh:

-Mike

Forgot to ask: When you are comparing the drag link and the track bar to be parallel, should you comparing the bars or is it better to imagine a straight line from mount to mount? Especially with all those bends in both the track bar and the drag links.

Twisted Copper said:
TrackbarReloc.Brkt.jpg

Look parallel to me!

You want to look at the center line of the two mounts, not just the bars themselves.

Those bars are not parallel using just that bracket.

My opinion that bracket is a joke and shouldn't be on any jeep ever.

mark

Mark Hinkley said:
You want to look at the center line of the two mounts, not just the bars themselves.

Those bars are not parallel using just that bracket.

My opinion that bracket is a joke and shouldn't be on any jeep ever.

mark

Thanks Mark. :cheers: Thats what I thought about the centerline of the two holes. I was sorta telling him my thoughts on the bracket when I mentioned mine broke into 2 pieces.

-Mike

No it is not a pro comp POS. It was made in the USA. I know Hackethorn makes terrible springs, but they do make some good hardware. Well if it is a joke, it was a $28 joke and it is on me. I'll honestly let you know if I have alignment issues or if it breaks, but I doubt it.

Twisted Copper said:
No it is not a pro comp POS. It was made in the USA. I know Hackethorn makes terrible springs, but they do make some good hardware. Well if it is a joke, it was a $28 joke and it is on me. I'll honestly let you know if I have alignment issues or if it breaks, but I doubt it.

If you never wheel it, sure it'll probably never break. I had to fix a friends rig on the trail when that POS bracket went, and the best part was that the bolt from the original trackbar bracket on the axle end was seized and broke too, good times!

If you plan to actually wheel, do yourself and your wheeling buddies a favor and get an adjustable trackbar, RE sells one for $150, and I know you can get that cheaper from Dirk over at DPG. You'll save everyone, including yourself, a big headache.

Well I will admit it, although the axle is centered and the "bars" are parallel, I am experiencing some bump-steer. It's not severe, but I will address it. I guess a pitman arm and adjustable bar are in the near future. I think the fact that it actually moved the bar downward in addition to toward the driver's side, increasing the already greater angle is the cause for the bump-steer.

I was wrong and am out $28. Oh well, my YJ had a relocation bracket on it and it worked like a champ. I wheeled the snot out of it too! I'd say it was worth a shot, but time and money spent for nothing...

I have heard of people moving the trackbar toward the driver's side in the factory mount by drilling a new hole. Is this a decent fix or will I be asking for headaches there too. There I go again trying to save a buck hehehe

I have heard a lot of people saying the redrilled and it worked just great and they wheeled the snot outa their xj with no issues. To me it kinda looks like there is no room to drill, mebbe i'm just confused. Can anyone post a pic of a tracbar where its redrilled?

Twisted Copper said:
Well I will admit it, although the axle is centered and the "bars" are parallel, I am experiencing some bump-steer. It's not severe, but I will address it. I guess a pitman arm and adjustable bar are in the near future. I think the fact that it actually moved the bar downward in addition to toward the driver's side, increasing the already greater angle is the cause for the bump-steer.

I was wrong and am out $28. Oh well, my YJ had a relocation bracket on it and it worked like a champ. I wheeled the snot out of it too! I'd say it was worth a shot, but time and money spent for nothing...

I have heard of people moving the trackbar toward the driver's side in the factory mount by drilling a new hole. Is this a decent fix or will I be asking for headaches there too. There I go again trying to save a buck hehehe

The bars are not parallel, and that is why you're experiencing bumpsteer. They were parallel stock, but since you lifted it AND added the relocation bracket, that moved the axle end of the trackbar down and out of the parallel range with the drag link.

Redrilling the bracket would be a better idea, and an adjustable unit is even better. With an adjustable trackbar, you don't need a drop pitman arm, because both the draglink and trackbar will be parallel, adding a drop pitman arm will again drop the trackbar and cause it to not be parallel with the draglink anymore.

Good luck.

And adding a drop pitman with a axle side bracket like you have will make the bumpsteer, more out of parallel DL and TB, worst.

But then I don't know anything about track bars! :D

hinkley

So adjustable trackbar mounted to the stock axle hole and use the stock pitman arm, right?

I'm taking the bracket off tonight and relocating it by drilling a hole. This is a temp fix until I get an adj. trackbar, which I will order tonight.

Mark - I didn't like the right answer so I fought it. I'm man enough to admit when I am wrong, which I was.

Thanks for the help folks!

TC

Back