• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 5.5 lift went on....now i have a few ?'s

mmmkay325

NAXJA Forum User
Aight, I got the lift done....now I have a few questions.

1. Now when my wheels are pointed straight, my steering wheel is 180 degress upside down. The only steering components i took loose where the factory track bar mount and track bar....replaced w/ RE's track bar mount and adj. track bar.

2. I am goin' to puttin in a xj d44 and I've got 97 ZJ disc brakes I'm gonna swap in. The Zj brakes have ABS....is there anyway I can make the ABS work w/ these brakes now???

thanks for any help you guys can give me.

If you haven't gotten a few PM's yet the reason your steering wheel is upside down is due to the drag link needing to be adjusted. It's very easy but is nice to have a second person to tell when the wheel is straight again.

Later,
Rough

1. Theres an adjustment on your draglink to adjust the wheel. Get out your Chilton's manual and proceed.....

2. I don't really see it worth it to keep the ABS around on the D44. If the discs are off of a ZJ D35, you'd have to press the tone rings off of the shafts and have a machine shop fit them onto your D44 shafts. Honestly Jeep ABS isn't worth all of that trouble....

hasta hasta hasta

BajaXJ92 said:
2. I don't really see it worth it to keep the ABS around on the D44. If the discs are off of a ZJ D35, you'd have to press the tone rings off of the shafts and have a machine shop fit them onto your D44 shafts. Honestly Jeep ABS isn't worth all of that trouble....

hasta hasta hasta

There is alot more to it than just pressing the tone rings off the D35 and onto the D44 as they don't fit. A D44 shaft and a D35 shaft are totally different animals. C-clip vs. non-c-clip and the way the bearings are. BTW- no factory rear Dana 44 from Jeep came with ABS as an option. It can be done but is not worth it and is expensive to make it work. :eek:

-Mike

mmmkay325 said:
2. I am goin' to puttin in a xj d44 and I've got 97 ZJ disc brakes I'm gonna swap in. The Zj brakes have ABS....is there anyway I can make the ABS work w/ these brakes now???

I see where everyone is going regarding the suggestiosn to ditch the ABS. I'm wondering does this XJ even have ABS to begin with? If it doesnt, then there's no reason/way to utilize the ZJ ABS stuff right?

Last edited:
Back