• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tri County 30 spline dana 30 kit ARB

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
What do you guys think about the Tri County 30 spline dana 30? How much is it, is it worth it? Is it comparable strength to a reg dana 44 up front? There is little to no information on this thing. I remember reading a article in JP or Peterson's on it, but that was over a year or so ago. What do you get, how much, ARB or detroit, etc???
Troy

ChuckD said:
I believe Superior is making a simular kit.

Thanks Chuck for the info, I see Rusty's has it for sale for around $1,200. Does any have any feedback on it who is running the dana 30/30 spline with an arb? I was just wondering, because my bro is looking into gears and lockers and this is something I heard is nice and strong. I wonder if you are probably better off getting a dana 44 for the front at this point, but I think the rev dana 30 with this 30 spline kit, arb, aftermarket u-joints etc is in the dana 44 range already. I know I would probably spend the $ on a rev dana 44 if I were to do it because I know this is probably in the range or so of a reg dana 60 without the weight, I know you can do some sweet things with it. It all depends on how much $$$ and time you have.
Troy

i have the warn/arb 30/30 kit: 30 spline axles with air locker. the kit was 1100. the locker is of course awesome but i'm not sure if i need the extra strength of the axles. i have 6" lift and 33's, and I'm really easy on the gas, so I'm not sure if the bigger axles are necessary. i do plan to go to 35's so they'll prob be worth it in the end. the cool thing about this kit that i like is that you can switch into any jeep dana 30 front besides the liberty's.

people think too much about shaft sizes and splines. yes it's cool that a D44 has 3 more splines amd .14" larger diameter, but other, and probably bigger advantages are steering, balljoints, hubs, ring+pinion strength, available ratios, housing strength, brakes, etc.

I wouldn't even consider putting that kind of money into a D30.

BrettM said:
people think too much about shaft sizes and splines. yes it's cool that a D44 has 3 more splines amd .14" larger diameter, but other, and probably bigger advantages are steering, balljoints, hubs, ring+pinion strength, available ratios, housing strength, brakes, etc.

I wouldn't even consider putting that kind of money into a D30.

Your right Brett, good point. I got my dana 30 already built with a arb, 4.56 gears, and welded on lower control arm skids, upper ca welds for more strength etc for $650, then I sold my rev dana 30 open with 4.56 for $350, so I only have $300 into it. I don't plan on any other mods, I have a full spare set of shafts(inners/outers/u-joints) ready to pop in if something breaks. I was just wondering who is running the kit and if they like it for the $$$. A rev dana 30 if said to be within the same strength as a reg dana 44 and with the 297/760 u-joints you are right there. The 27 splines, weaker housing, etc is where the dana 44 leaves the dana 30 behind. Also the Rubicon dana 44's have dana 30 outers so there isn't the diff in strength there where the dana 44 would normally pull away from the dana 30.
Anyone else have an opinion on this kit who has used it?

Back