• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Fuel pump I think!

simonsxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1989 XJ with an auto 4x4 and a 2.5 4cyl. I have no book for it and would like to check for power at the pump but I do not know which wires to check. The fuseable links ( :puke: ) seem to be good, I will replace them later with a fuse when I can find a chart to show me the ratings for them. However at the moment I can't get fuel and I don't even know which on of the relay's it runs off. Help. I need a book but can't afford that and a pump.

The pink and black wires going to the pump should have 9-12v.

Under the hood, there should be a set of 3 relays next to/above the coil. The center one is the fuel pump relay. I have a pic, but this doesn't allow me to do attachments.

Also look for a ceramic bar with 2 terminals on one of the fenders. Power to the pump goes through it on the 4.0 and I'd assume on the 4 cyl too. Check for power on both terminals.

On the 4.0, the pump only gets power for about 3 seconds after turning on, untill it started. So, check quick.

Back