• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front upper coil mount relocation...beez, vintage, farmermatt??

Patriot

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've got my project started, here's the link to the showcase thread... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31056

I had an idea last night about straightening the coils up on the front. Here's the idea, sorry about the horrible picture but you should get the idea.

xj-front-coil-move.bmp

I thought about cutting the spacer cup flat with the upper coil mount and welding a new 1/4" plate, with a 1/4" gusset from the plate to the stock mount (blue thing). This will allow the coil to be moved outward so the center is where the yellow line is, instead of the center being where the red line is. It should straighten the coil out, be easier than fabbing something on the radius arm, and give a little more stability.

What do you guys think, any problems you might forsee in this? A problem that might arise is that when the passenger side is raised up, the tire might hit the new perch.

If this doesn't work, I've got another idea, but any ideas on how to straighten this coil out would be helpful.

Last edited:
I think you would be better off moving it inward on the axle, you would definatly be toying with the strength of the upper wheelwell mount trying to move it outward

Matt,
They're sitting about 120* from the stock position in the picture, which has helped out. It was bowed more when they were in the stock position though.

Fullsize,
Just for my future projects' referencing guide, why would it be better to move the coils inward on this project?

Thanks for the help guys.

I said it because you had mentioned cutting the upper mount and moving it, not as easy as it sounds when you look into trying to strengthen it, It is not the thickest metal in that area to work with, most of the strength it has now is due to the way it is formed

I'd say move the axle mounts. Sure it's some work but your tires wont rub the coil at full stuff and if you ever sell that axle or swap bodies you have advantages.

-jb

Patriot said:
Matt,
They're sitting about 120* from the stock position in the picture, which has helped out. It was bowed more when they were in the stock position though.

How do you turn them 120*? He means the coil spring mounts on the axle, not the coil springs themselves. Just making sure that was clearly understood.

I have the same problem with my mj with the same axles. What I plan on doing is using flat plate and correct diameter pipe to make some new coil spring mounts. After the mounts are finished I will make some wedges that will make the coils set level. What ever you do make sure you incorporate some coil spring retainers on the new cups, last week at tellico my springs wanted to exit the jeep in the worst way... judd :spin1:

That's a good point vintage. If I want to swap axles or do something different for the links, I'll not be screwed.

Safari Ary said:
How do you turn them 120*? He means the coil spring mounts on the axle, not the coil springs themselves. Just making sure that was clearly understood.

Yes, it was clear and I guess I should have I only have mentioned only using one bolt hole in the retainer and cup mount instead of both. You can rotate it if you only use one bolt hole :). I'll put two bolts in when I build the new support plate under the stock Ford cup retainer. If I rotate it 180* and use both bolt holes, it cause it to bow pretty bad.

I'm going to do what mudtruk is doing. I got some ideas from the PBB Ford site. Mudtruk are you using the stock coil retainer? Are you saying to use another retainer clip along with the stock Ford one?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Back