• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway Bar Shuffle

Townie

NAXJA Forum User
I recently installed poly bushing kit for sway bar; silenced front end clunk but cannot stop bar from inching toward driver's side tow hook mounting bolt (SW previously had rubbed against above bolt w/ original worn bushings.) I've tried to re-center & torque to spec. twice now. Time for JKS Quick disconnects? Stock ride though...

Townie, you need what are called "collets". They are a type of fastener that fits around the bar, toward the inside of the bushing. Two are required, one for each side. They'll hold the bar in place and prevent it from creeping, and are a necessity with poly bushings.

Did the poly bushings improve the handling?

The Daystar kit didn't include those; only the replacement bushings for sway bar.

Handling has improved-- how 'bout a OME steering stabilizer to replace the wimpy stock piece? Trying to eliminate pot hole DW...

The device you need is not a "collet", but a "collar". You can get them at most large machine supply places like W.W. Grainger.

I just looked them up on the Internet, and what you need is a "two piece" type shaft-collar. They are sold by the size of the shaft onto which you clamp them, so be sure to measure the sway bar before buying what you need.

The ones with an inside diameter of 1 inch are about 3 bucks each, and you will need two.

Back