• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 / NP231 parts interchangeability? - New member

tchase

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone I'm new to the group and I was hoping someone could tell me if there are any parts which interchange between the 242 and 231. I know I probably have this info somewhere but I can't seem to locate it at the moment. Also if anyone could tell me some common problem areas of the 242 it would be greatly appreciated. My Fiancee's '89 limited is making some pretty nasty noises inside the 242 (in 2wd in regular driving). I'm planning on opening it up tommorrow to have a look but I don't know much about this case. I have lots of spare 231 parts as well as a complete working 231 and swapping this in may be a last resort but we would like to keep the full-time option on this jeep if it can be saved at a reasonable cost. Does anyone see any potential problems in swapping to the 231 if we have too? Will the lack of axle disconnect be a problem for the 231? Thanks in advance for any info

Tony Chase
Kim Fredericks
1991 Xj Laredo 4.0 AW4 -mine
1989 Xj Limited 4.0 AW4 -hers
1987 Xj Pioneer 2.5 -parts

Back