• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Stiffness / Resistance

Ivan

I Jeep, therefore, I am..
I finished installing a reman power steering pump on my '98 a few days ago, and I have encounter a puzzling problem.

I set up the PS pump per procedures listed in the FSM. My problem is, that during really slow turning operations (parking, pulling out of a drive way, u turn from a dead stop, etc.), I encounter a strong stiffness / resistance to the steering while. Almost like the steering wheel is fighting back. However, all is fine once I'm up and running a normal speeds. The steering response just fine.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this? Thanks...

Ivan

Who is the source of your reman pump? I ask because I did a PS pump swap on my wifes' old '94 Chryco minivan, and I went through 3 pumps from AutoZone before I got a good one. ( A year later, it died and I put in a Chryco reman. Made a note to never use AZ for PS pumps again.)

I got mine through Napa Auto Parts. It seems to be getting somewhat better, but I still have that nagging "stiff" resistance at low speed turns. Not sure what to think now.... :(

I'm not a fan of re-mans for the same reason that AZJeff won't go to AutoZone. I've had re-man parts last anywhere from a few days to a couple of years, but never as long a a Mopar replacement part.

my dads civic doesnt have power steering and its a bear to turn at low speeds but is really easy once you get up to speed, almost like it does have power steering.. do you have to wrestle it or is it just not as easy as you'd like it? kinda sounds like you got a bad unit

Ok... the steering stiffness was the result of a bad pump. Yanked and replaced, only to find out the replacement pump leaks at the pulley shaft :flamemad: At least it wasn't attributed to anything else, ie the only two connections that I hooked up at the pump are dry...

To make matters worst, the new serpentine belt I installed, has stretched beyond the limit of adjustment of the idler pulley. As long as I'm at NAPA getting my 2nd replacement pump, I going to have them replace my new serpentine belt as well.

I thought that by going to NAPA, I'd at least get some decent stuff... such is not the case :(

Ivan

Hit the dealer up for the belt...might as well do the idler too :D
OH, and score a repair shop T shirt from somwhere/some business. I swear they keep two sets of parts, one set for neophytes/shade trees and another set of professional business's....

RichP said:
Hit the dealer up for the belt...might as well do the idler too :D
OH, and score a repair shop T shirt from somwhere/some business. I swear they keep two sets of parts, one set for neophytes/shade trees and another set of professional business's....

I did the idler pulley first, thinking that was my original problem, so that's covered. I'll be happy enough with a replacment belt, when I return the 2nd PS pump. From here on out, it's OEM parts...

Back