• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford explorer 8.8

kewlkatdady

NAXJA Forum User
I've done a little research and I think the 8.8 will be the best (most cost effective) rear axle upgrade for my non C d35 in my '88 XJ.

The question that I have is the offset in the 8.8. Does this adversely affect anything?

Why offset the rear axle?

How offset is yours?

I think all 8.8's were offset slightly to the *passenger* side...?

I'm not real sure why it's like that, must be for packaging. It's not a real big deal. Mine tinks my exhaust pipe in compression (I never hear it but I see the witness marks). When I get my exhaust redone, I'll have em put in a different pipe that is moved over. It also contributes a very minor amount to the fact my driveshaft is now teatering on being too short.

BajaJeremy said:
I'm not real sure why it's like that, must be for packaging. It's not a real big deal. Mine tinks my exhaust pipe in compression (I never hear it but I see the witness marks). When I get my exhaust redone, I'll have em put in a different pipe that is moved over. It also contributes a very minor amount to the fact my driveshaft is now teatering on being too short.

Mine hits my exhaust a little with 4in of lift, not too bad though, wont break through it or anything. The offset will wear out your ujoints a little quicker, but nothing to worry about. Do the swap and search this forum, theres more 8.8 info on here than most Ford techs would know.

Back