• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did I get ripped off from the factory with my Dana 44?

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, here is what the I.D. tag from my rear end says. I took off the cover to change the fluid and noticed that there was a tag. it said the following

{ 8953005003 }
{ 3.54 46-13 }

Now here's where I'm confused, 3.54 is the closest thing I can find that resembles what the final drive ratio would be (I know that there was a 3.55 ratio available in Jeeps, but not a 3.54). Now here's the catch. I can't find my Build slip (its MIA somewhere inside my house) but I remember clearly enough what it said. According to the build slip, I'm supposed to have a 3.73 rear end and the tow package (it had a class 3 hitch and the tow package gave it the Dana 44). My Build slip isn't one orederd from chrysler after the fact. It was in the window on June 26th-27th (somthing like that) the day it arrived (it came off the line in Toledo on May the 8th), ordered to my Great Uncle's specs, not bought off the lot. I'm just wondering if they put in a 3.55 instead of the 3.73 that's supposed to be in there. The rear end was never worked on (It may have had the gear oil changed, I'm not sure) but the gears inside the rear end and the rear end itself are the ones the Jeep had from the factory. I know there is some way that you can count the teeth on the gears and multiply to get the ratio. Can any one tell me the specifics of this method, because I might as well check it myself while the cover is off. Thanks in advance for any help any one can give me.

You definitely don't have 3.73.

Sometimes they don't stamp the ratio itself but they always stamp the number of teeth that are on both the ring and pinion gears. In your case those numbers are 46 and 13.

46/13 is 3.538 approximately 3.54.

AFAIK 3.73 was never offered behind the 4.0L. You have what you're supposed to have.

Eagle said:
AFAIK 3.73 was never offered behind the 4.0L. You have what you're supposed to have.

Do you mean in the 80s? In 1994 the towing package came with the 4.0L, and 3.73 gears. I was mad because when I got my 95 that was the year they stopped using the 3.73 for the tow packages.

DXJ said:
Do you mean in the 80s? In 1994 the towing package came with the 4.0L, and 3.73 gears. I was mad because when I got my 95 that was the year they stopped using the 3.73 for the tow packages.

his is an 87...

red91inWA said:
his is an 87...

I know, I just wanted to clearify Eagle's statement since it almost sounds like no XJ ever had 3.73 gears with a 4.0L. Maybe I just read it that way though.

Back