• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dexron vs ATF+3 results

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I couldn't find the old thread, but I went and used 12 qts to power flush the ATF+3 out of the AW4 with DexronIII. The results are that it definitely shifts a lot more crisply, and feels a little more firmly 'connected' to the engine (better torque converter performance). Before it used to shift with a delay and glide into the next gear, like an old GM trans, now it changes gears quickly and decisively.

I read somewhere to only use Dexron that had the GM cert number on the bottle. While I'm not a fan of 'house brands', Advance Auto Dexron was the only one with a cert num on it. Castrol SAID it had been certified, but no number and none on their site, and all the others just said something like "should be used where Dexron is specified". Has anyone found another brand with a cert number?

I added a bottle of Trans-X (220k miles on it) and will run it a while and flush again to make sure ALL of the other stuff is out. At $5 a gallon, it's cheap insurance - and feels like I put in a shift kit too :party:

Thanks to all who suggested this!

Back