• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much ATF will I need?

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
I have AW4(Auto) and NP242.

This weekend I'd like to drain the Tranny, drop the pan and replace the filter. As this has never been done under my ownership of the heep.(1.5 years)

I will be draining the T-Case also.

How much ATF will I need for this? and is this something a not so auto-mech (like myself) can tackle?

dropping the pan to service will cost you about 5 to 6 quarts of fluid. dont think it is necessary to raplace the filter. it is a screen and can be cleaned. it is an expensive screen to replace. the trans uses dexron2 and thetransfer case holds 1.5 quarts.

Get some Mopar ATF RTV to seal the trans pan with. It makes life alot easier when putting the pan back on, and seals great to boot.

--Matt

it should be 4 quarts for the pan, 3 by pulling the plug, then another quart still in the pan.

the t-case probably takes 2 and a a little.

get 8 quarts and then you can either return a couple or just have extra if you end up with too much.

oh yeah, don't use synthetic in the AW4, just DexronIII/Mercon, if you have any questions on that do a search for my name in this forum along with "AW4" and "synthetic"

Every time I drain my pan I get about 3.75 quarts out, and it only holds 4 when it's completely dry. 4 will be plenty for the transmission. For the transfer case, since you need so little, I strongly recommend synthetic. You'll get better gas mileage, it will shift smother, and run cooler. My 231 only needed slightly less than 1 quart when I changed it a few weeks ago. And definately don't put any synthetic in the AW4. If there are any Costco's around, you can get a case of Chevron Dex III for $12. Chevron is really good stuff, and it's normally around $2/quart anywhere else...

Edit: Make sure you use Dexron III. Don't believe anyone that tells you to use ATF+3.

ZmOz said:
Every time I drain my pan I get about 3.75 quarts out, and it only holds 4 when it's completely dry. 4 will be plenty for the transmission. For the transfer case, since you need so little, I strongly recommend synthetic. You'll get better gas mileage, it will shift smother, and run cooler. My 231 only needed slightly less than 1 quart when I changed it a few weeks ago. And definately don't put any synthetic in the AW4. If there are any Costco's around, you can get a case of Chevron Dex III for $12. Chevron is really good stuff, and it's normally around $2/quart anywhere else...

Edit: Make sure you use Dexron III. Don't believe anyone that tells you to use ATF+3.
i hope he doesnt burn his transfer case up, evety transfer case i service, i put about 1.5 quarts.
check the trans fluid idling in neutral at operating temps. it should take about 5 quarts.

ZmOz said:

I think I'll stay with Dyno Fluids, wouldn't want for the Syth to find new leaks.

jneary said:
i hope he doesnt burn his transfer case up, evety transfer case i service, i put about 1.5 quarts.
check the trans fluid idling in neutral at operating temps. it should take about 5 quarts.

Looks like I should pick up a few more to be safe..

I have purchase just 4 quarts of Dexron III, as it states on the bottle that it is a replacement for Dexron II/Mercon thats stated in my chiltons.

ThanX guys.

Buy extra and just keep it around to top off the tranny or to refill on your next service.

Back