• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No brake lights?

StuckXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I checked the bulbs and there good, the fuse apears to be the one that runs all of the rear lights and the revers and driving lights work but no brake lights. Should I check a relay some were? I dd a search but the solution was a broken wire off of the brake light switch, which i just disconected and didnt seem to remember any broken wires. Is there a way to test the switch or is it cheap enogh to just replace it and not bother testing it? thanks for any and all help in advance.
-Steve D.

If you aren't familiar with where it is, it is mounted at the junction of the brake pedal lever and the pushrod going to the master cylinder.

Rather than buy a switch without knowing that is what is wrong, just pull the connector off, and take a wire (paperclip works great) and short the two pins together. The lights should go on. If they don't, don't bother with the switch, the problem is somewhere else.

there isnt much between the switch and the bulb. especially since the other tail lamps work. that would mean the harness is connected. and considering it is both lights it must be something related to the two bulbs working at the same time, like the switch

The maxi fuse for the hazzards was out so I picked one up while looking for a stop light switch, which I didnt locate. When I got home I put it in and the hazzards and the brakes light up again. The owners manual shows no relation between the 2 in the fuses section nor does the hyne repair manual. I thought this was weird but I'm glad I didn't order the $38 switch now.
Thanks for all the help
-Steve D

Your's is the classic reason I keep preaching to do a bit of troubleshooting. It just saved you $38. Now you can spend it on gas for wheeling or put it towards another toy. I don't mind spending $$$ on something I want, I just hate spending it and finding out I didn't have tol

Give yourself a pat on the back. :cheers:

Geese, now I am glad I whent Canoeing and felt some odd resion to put the ole haxards to good use, I never would have relized that fuse was out and would ended up with a ticket or wasting $38 and still having no brake lights. Strange how things work out. I'm still baffeled that they have any relationship with eachother, hazards and brake lights!
-Steve D

Back