• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Flow

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
Well, in the interest of seeing if my oil pressures were adequate, I checked the bottom line. Since the pressure is only there to create flow, and the rocker arms are the highest points, if I have flow there, everything below is getting some. I write this in case someone might want to check their own...

I took the fill cap off while hot with the 5w50 in it. The pressures have been a bit better with that: 15 idle, 20 highway. At idle, I saw a barely noticeable flow across the top of the arms. I then reved by hand to about 1500 rpm and the flow increased to the point of a little splashing around. That's good.

I'm not sure I like the idle flow, but will check cold and another time hot as well to verify more closely. At least I'm OK on the road. I just shouldn't idle too long...

If it didn't just cost $30 for the oil alone, I'd be interested in comparing with 5w30, 10w30, and 10w40, but that'll have to wait.

A higher flow pump should help too, unless the previous owner already put one in :doh:

Back