• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full width Drivability

Ron4x4

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
For those of you who have gone to Full width axles, what do you think of the on road capabilities? comfort? and driveability?

Axle selection/type has absolutely nothing to do with the suspension design and handling characteristics!

More leverage on the shocks and springs, more cornering stability based on width, larger turning radius are the other ones that seem likely.

The question was about axles only!No mention of how the springs are mounted!.No mention of wheel backspace or steering axis!Axles are "un-sprung" weight so the suspension wont see it except for "inertia" movements.A 60" axle with "zero" backspace wheels is the same as a 70" axle with 5" backspace wheels!

Ron4x4 said:
For those of you who have gone to Full width axles, what do you think of the on road capabilities? comfort? and driveability?

Are we just talking about on road drivability? What's the reason for going to full width? Here is a good thread discussng this, although it is not just for XJ's.

Thread

RCP Phx said:
The question was about axles only!No mention of how the springs are mounted!.No mention of wheel backspace or steering axis!Axles are "un-sprung" weight so the suspension wont see it except for "inertia" movements.A 60" axle with "zero" backspace wheels is the same as a 70" axle with 5" backspace wheels!

With my shocks and springs mounted in the same place, I can take a turn a lot faster than I could if I had stock axles with the same BS rims. Wider stance makes better stability... especially when there are 100lbs tires mounted to the edges :laugh3:
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
With my shocks and springs mounted in the same place, I can take a turn a lot faster than I could if I had stock axles with the same BS rims. Wider stance makes better stability... especially when there are 100lbs tires mounted to the edges :laugh3:
Billy

I have to agree with JEEPFREAK, my Jeep feels more stable on the road now than it ever has.

RCP Phx said:

Decaf man, decaf.... :smoker:

RCP Phx said:

Actually the more unsprung wieight with the same suspension results in a harsher ride....but, in a 4x4 its not as noticable, especially one thats modified with a lift and bigger tires already.

Justin

Well the suspension is just going to be a 7.5 Re lift, I did not think it would be terrible. In fact I was thinking that with the width cornering would be better. I plan on running a 5inch bs wheel with 37 MTR's on. With all that said, I was pondering putting discs on the 14 bolt. but the XJ is so light will it really make a difference?

I'm looking to swap in a rev dana 44/ford 9" 69" wide from a 78' f-150. How easy/hard is this without cutting them down? I was also looking to go with leaf springs in the front.

It makes it more stable. I don't run a swaybar and it has no noticible body lean. As far as installing the axle. The easiest way would be to use the radius arms, because then you already have the shock mounts, coil buckets, and control arms. I took of my mid-arm set up because I was short on time to get the swap done. Do a search and you will find a lot of set ups.

go full width 8 lug, then go Hummer rims or H2 rims, put you over 60'' i think for hub to hub. So basically it looks normal

With my full widths I have better breaking and better steering. The breaking is better from having the larger disks and drums plus a different master cylinder to push more fluid. The steering is better from going to high steer. If I were on the same size tires as I was before I did the swap I would imagine that the handling and drivability actually increased from what it was.

Back