• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Very confusing now

MuddyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently installed the JB Conversions fixed yoke kit in my transfer case and after getting it done the linkage wouldn't fit. Nothing on the outside changed so I am confused as to why the linkage is now about an inch longer then needed. One thing that crossed my mind was that I didn't line the shifting forks up right when I put this kit in and I never touched the adjustment on the shift lever until today and when I adjusted it it was still an inch long. Am I missing something here? What can I do to fix this? I may want to be able to use 4wd without crawling uder the XJ to shift it some day.

If you're talking about the lever on the outside of the t-case, it shouldn't be affected. is the lever on the shaft upside-down? It will fit both ways..:confused:

It is pointing down. I have tried every way and even tried using the plate from a Wrangler but the slot is at a different angle. Only other thing that may be the cause is that the inside isn't right but I cna shift into all ranges by hand.

I have the same kit in mine. I just looked, and mine points down and left at about 45 degrees in 2WD-HI. Is yours close to this?

If your linkage lever points down and left, and the shifter is moved all the way forward...:confused:

You probably messed up the selector fork set-up!The kit should have "Zero" affect on the linkage.

You might have put everything back in the case in a different range than you left it. Like starting the install in 4 low and ending up in 2 high. Shift the lever in the cab and then see if they will mate up. I had the same problem with the exact same kit. I put the shift linkages on upside down so it was physically impossible to shift out of 4 low. I thought I had screwed up the internal workings of the T-case. infact, all I had done was put the shift linkage on upside down.

Unless I had a brain fart when putting this back together I made sure to not move the shifter plate inside and if I did I made sure to move it back. I wonder if having the lowering kit on for aa year and a half and then replacing the tranny mount moved the drive train just enough to misalign the linkage? If I can shift into all ranges by hand the inside should be right?

Back