• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

line-X on gas tank?

roXJeepr

NAXJA Member #334
After having a leaky tank(at the seam) I was considering having my tank line-X'd on the entire outside. In case you don't know, line-X is a brand of spray on bedliner. It would cost around $100 to do, but I would think it should never leak again, ever. Any opinions, comments?
Thanks,
Dale

Yeah, it would stop the leak, but you may as well go to j-yard and find another gas tank for less money. I personally would not spray the underside of my jep with line-x.....its too expensive of a liner. If you got the $$ to waste....err spend, go for it.

Thats an "extremely dangerous" idea,dont even consider it without making out a "will"!

How do you figure spraying bedliner on the outside of the gas tank will stop a leaking seam? I don't think this sounds like a very good idea at all.

lets put it this way, forget about all the "its dangerous" reasons (which I agree with)

100 bucks for line-x to "fix" the leak.....

50 bucks? (or maybe less) to get a junkyard tank in good condition.....

in fact, IIRC, 4wd hardware sells NEW tanks for around 80 bucks....

at least they did a year or so ago.......

then buy a pint of black rustoleum at the hardware store, and you have a painted/protected new tank for less than you planned to spend fixing the sucky tank.

First off, I didn't clarify in my post. I wasn't going to spray the leaking tank. I got one from the junkyard that's not leaking and was going to spray it. So the dangerous point I don't see to apply here. The reason I was thinking to do this anyway was to prevent leaks, not fix them. My tank started leaking after my last trip to Tellico and I see NO apparent reason. I'm running a factory skid and see no damage other than scrapes on it. Age I guess is why?
"How do you figure spraying bedliner on the outside of the gas tank will stop a leaking seam?"
Well, if the liner adheres to entire tank I don't see where the fuel would go. I don't think it will go through it.
Yes, it's kinduv expensive. But, if it works, and the tank never leaks again, to me that's money well spent. I'll probably just throw on my junkyard tank and run it because you guys are so persuasive. I would like to know if any of you have changed your thinking at all due to the clarification. Thanks guys.
Dale

Back