• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on rear bumper w/ tire carrier...

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

I am wanting to get a rear bumper with tire carrier for my 2000 XJ. I am comparing the Custom 4x4 and the Durnago 4x4 systems. Both are nice. I like the Durnago one because the tire swing mounts on TOP of the bumper, where the Custom 4x4 swing mounts to the FACE of the bumper. 2 things I don't like about the Durango: The price! and the shinny black finish.

Can you guys provide feedback (experience) with either of these two or maybe make other recommendations?

Thanks,

Robert

I have a BPI and am happy with it........................

I have a C4X4 bumper and tire carrier that I have a 33x12.50 MTR mounted to. With a 33x12.50 you can open the lift gate with the tire carrier in two places so you don't have to swing it all the way out to open the lift gate. If you are parked next to another car you can't always open the tire carrier all the way with out hitting the car next to you. I also have the Hi-Lift jack mount which does make you open the tire carrier all the way. I love the C4X4 setup. It is very well built and I have had no squeaks or rattles. The tire carrier comes with a mount that ties the bumper into the mounts for the trailer hitch for more strength. It's Moab approved!

SCJ

yeah, I would like to see more information on rear bumpers and tire carriers. I have a 2001 and am looking around as well.

thanks

Has anyone out there ever tried Four Real's rear bumper with tire carrier?

I'm debating on a tube bumper front and rear, but I'm not so sure that llike the lack of D-rings. Where do you hook a tow strap?

Robert

check out the protofab4x4.com web site . i am running the rear bumper with tire carrier its really strong and it has a rock solid cam latch on it. the four real steel bumpers look good bur they are not up to heavy use. i read in one of the offroad mags that the one they had on there xj had the welds break loose.

Back