• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Injectors - Same for 89 and 97?

Black & Tan

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a newer 97 Cherokee Sport and I'm looking at selling/donating my 89 Cherokee Limited. Both are 4 liter V6's...however I'm not sure if the 97 Sport is mechanically enhanced, or "marketing" enhanced.

I had the injectors replaced on the 89 Limited last year and it was a pretty penny. I'd like to swap the injectors with the 97 if possible (the 97 has 118,000 miles). Are the injectors identical for 89 and 97? Or should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks!!

You'll have to come out to the East Coast to collect on that pint if you're correct.... there's this fantastic Irish bar that has the best Guinness and melt in your mouth fish and chips.... mmmm, almost lunchtime....

Damn, I'll have to leave the injectors alone and hope for some longevity. At least the miles are mostly highway.

However, what's your take on the engine for the 97 Sport? Mechanically enhanced or "Marketing" fluff? I know some of the earlier Sports were HO, but I don't see that info anywhere in my paperwork or on the Jeep.

There are two generations of ECU's between your 89 and 97. The first was in 91 with the introduction of the 4.0L HO. The second was in 96, the year before the body changes.

If you have V6's in both, they are not factory installed. The V6 was dropped in 87 which is why the Cherokee lived to 01.

All 4.0L I-6s were "High-Output" from 91-later.

87-90 Renix "Power Tech" 4.0L - 177hp @ 4750 rpm, 224 ft lb @ 2400 rpm/220lbft @ 2000rpm

91-95 "High Output" 4.0L - 190 hp @ 4750 rpm, 225 ft lb @ 3,950 rpm

96-99 "High Output" w/OBDII 4.0L - 190 hp @ 4600 rpm, 225 ft lb @ 3,000 rpm

00-01 "High Output" w/distributorless ignition 4.0L - 193 hp @ 4600 rpm, 231 ft lb @ 3,000 rpm

Yucca-Man, looks like I owe you a pint of the good stuff.

You are correct, after some remedial reading on the web, the engines in both are I-6's. I'm so used to the V configuration, I instinctively add the V designation whenever I even think about engine sizes. I'll keep this in mind for the future....

Black & Tan said:
I had the injectors replaced on the 89 Limited last year and it was a pretty penny. I'd like to swap the injectors with the 97 if possible (the 97 has 118,000 miles). Are the injectors identical for 89 and 97?

Thanks!!

No they're not. Here's a complete list of injector specs for all 4.0 engine models:

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/tech_specs.html

If you're going to change your injectors at all, the Ford 19lb/hr injectors will drop straight in and they're easy to find cheap.
Bejesus and begorra, now you can buy me a Guinness too! :D

Riyadh, huh. Isn't that in a "dry" country. A buddy of mine was stationed out there for a while, came back home with a great thirst.

Alrighty then, a pint of the good stuff for all!!

The Ford injectors will work? If I'm not mistaken, that's a step UP from the current injectors in my Mustang. Do all injectors within this range have a common diameter/length? I'm not planning on changing anything yet, but I will remember this for the inevitable future....

One of those mysticle hard to find collectors 4.0L v6's huh, man those are collectors items, keep em both :D

Black & Tan said:
Riyadh, huh. Isn't that in a "dry" country. A buddy of mine was stationed out there for a while, came back home with a great thirst.

Alrighty then, a pint of the good stuff for all!!

The Ford injectors will work? If I'm not mistaken, that's a step UP from the current injectors in my Mustang. Do all injectors within this range have a common diameter/length? I'm not planning on changing anything yet, but I will remember this for the inevitable future....

The Ford 19lb injectors with the orange top will drop straight into your Renix 4.0 without any problem, they have a wider spray pattern than the OEM injectors (good), they're much cheaper, and they're less prone to leak when they get older (unlike us ;) ).
Yeah, unfortunately Saudi Arabia IS a "dry" country but I'm going on holiday in six days' time so I'll hop over the "pond" to Connecticut and have a pint with ya.

Black & Tan said:
Hey! No comments from the peanut gallery or the free flowing Guinness will have to stop!
:shiver: !!! Shutchermouth Rich!! Freeflowing Guinness is the greatest!! :D

Back