• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternator in water

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking at sites showing XJs in river crossings, etc, up to the bumper and beyond. If you do that dont' you say goodbye to your alternator??? It's down there...

And what about u-joints, wheel bearings, TC seal (that one may be OK), ball joints, rear wheel cylinders, etc? Is it major work after every crossing? How soon after do you need to tear it all apart - like if you're way out for several days/week?

Clean water has very little impact on an alternator. Mud is not good. I do a lot of water crossings and all I ever do is to checkt the diff fluid when I get home. I've actually never had any water get in. All of my vents are mounted way up high.

Clean water shorts things out... I know of all the advice one gets when cleaning under the hood, don't hit the carb intake or the alternator with the hose are the biggest ones.

I'm surprised there's no other damage.

Your jeeps 12v system is not like your house power. If you dunk the positive output of your alt the voltage regulator reduces the current to near 0 and water is not conductive to carry significant current anyway, so you have no electrical problem. The voltage regulator its self is located in the alt and is sealed so it will not be affected.

The most likely failure modes for an alt that gets dunked is the bearings binding up or a piece of grit getting between he rotor and stator and ripping the insulation on the winding and causing a short.

skipc said:
Clean water shorts things out... I know of all the advice one gets when cleaning under the hood, don't hit the carb intake or the alternator with the hose are the biggest ones.

I'm always soaking my alt when I wash under the hood, in both my 99XJ and my wifes 00TJ.... Never had a problem.

I've taken my stock 97 XJ(235/75R15 mud tires) on 3 water trips with no harm done. 2 times the water(creek) was well above bumper and I only took a small amount of water in airbox. There was a decent amount of water in the engine compartment. Needless to say I was pretty lucky. I'm looking at a snorkle or other mod so it doesn't happen again.

Remember to take it slow and steady in the water...don't go bashing thru or you will get in trouble. Save the power for when you feel like you may be getting stuck.

skipc said:

pure water is not conductive in fact it is a very good inslator it is all the minerals in the water that is conductive

Insulation isn't even the problem. At 12v not much of anything is going to conduct that much. The problem is getting mud into the slip rings and bearings.

FrankDV1 said:
I've taken my stock 97 XJ(235/75R15 mud tires) on 3 water trips with no harm done. 2 times the water(creek) was well above bumper and I only took a small amount of water in airbox. There was a decent amount of water in the engine compartment. Needless to say I was pretty lucky. I'm looking at a snorkle or other mod so it doesn't happen again.

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended), less looking into snorkels for now. Yesterday, though, there was some weirdness I'd never seen before after doing a few water hole / stream crossings: the volt meter on the instrument cluster pegged at zero and the 'CHECK GAUGES' light came on - but the engine was still running, the V-belt was fine, and there were no secondary indications from the alternator (grinding / whining) that mud or other debris had damaged it. FWIW, I have the stock 124-amp alternator.

Pulled out to the parking lot (hey, if it was dead, there's a $100 difference between being towed from the road and being towed from inside), killed the ignition, popped the hood to let things air out a bit and performed the gauge self-check (hold in trip reset button while switching key to the '2' position). All gauges checked out fine. Started up: voltmeter went back to its usual spot around 13.8V. Didn't have a meter with me, but switching on the A/C, radio, and lights (on high beams) produced the expected effect: a slight dip in voltage followed by recovery as the alternator compensated. Idled the engine for another 10 minutes or so to make sure things really were working as they should be, then went back about my business fooling around the OHV area for another couple of hours.

Still not sure what caused it - I'm guessing a momentary lapse of contact or possible bridging from moisture. Didn't see the problem again on the 22-mile drive home, so it appears to have been intermittent. Having submerged or seriously dampened alternators in several different vehicles before, I've never had one quit out on me solely because of water getting into it - mud's a different story - but there are other things that could happen, like moisture under the distributor cap, damp plug wires affecting conductivity or arcing back to the block (usually if they're worn out), or water in the plug holes (a recurring problem with my Peugeot 405 due to the slant design of the engine sluicing water into them when driving through deep puddles at speed).

This article has some good tips on waterproofing; he's using an FSJ as the example, but the basic theories should be the same on most vehicles.

Remember to take it slow and steady in the water...don't go bashing thru or you will get in trouble. Save the power for when you feel like you may be getting stuck.

Yup. It's probably worth mentioning that the stuff I was fooling around in ranged from ankle-deep to just above the bumper depending on which part of the creek I was at, so the alternator was likely spending a good amount of time submerged in the more interesting stuff. No problems so far after another 50 miles or so of road use, but it is worth being careful.

On a related note: when I hit the water hole the first time, there was a brand-new Exploder with four people in it debating whether or not they could make it through. I hit it, made a really nice bow wave (got a good single slosh across the hood), and ploughed through. Turned around, went back through, and told them, 'hey, if you don't make it, I'll tow you out'. They declined and exited the OHV area :)

Last edited:
After a run in with a big mud puddle, I hosed the alternator down with fresh water and sprayed it with PB blaster (not while running). WD 40 will work also. Water will flush the debris out, and a water displacing lube will get the water out and relube things. doing this to fuse panels will also help to prevent corrosion.

Marine supplies will have stuff that displaces water even better then WD40, but can be pricy.

--Matt

egon said:
After a run in with a big mud puddle, I hosed the alternator down with fresh water and sprayed it with PB blaster (not while running). WD 40 will work also. Water will flush the debris out, and a water displacing lube will get the water out and relube things. doing this to fuse panels will also help to prevent corrosion.

Marine supplies will have stuff that displaces water even better then WD40, but can be pricy.

--Matt

Nice tip Matt...Thanks!

Frank

Back