• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can you tell O2 Sensor is going bad?

joey99jb

NAXJA Forum User
Well, as the title suggests, I am curioues to know if there is a way to test whether or not the O2 Sensor needs replacement or not. I have '98 XJ and as far as I know everything seems to be running fine. I just replaced my cat two days ago with a hi-flo and I figured I might as well ask how others were able to diagnose a faulty O2 Sensor. Are there particular symptoms I should look for? Thanks!!

Joey B

joey99jb said:
Well, as the title suggests, I am curioues to know if there is a way to test whether or not the O2 Sensor needs replacement or not. I have '98 XJ and as far as I know everything seems to be running fine. I just replaced my cat two days ago with a hi-flo and I figured I might as well ask how others were able to diagnose a faulty O2 Sensor. Are there particular symptoms I should look for? Thanks!!

Joey B

if you replaced the cat you should have replaced the 2 O2 sensors that you have.
Symptoms... YOUR GAS MILAGE WILL SUCK !

BMWNUTw/XJ said:
O2 sensors normally have a service life of 60-75K on most foreign cars, I would imagine it's even a little shorter on these trucks since they are run on regular gas.

The O2 sensor can be tested. Here is how to test one.
http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/O2-sensor-testing.shtml

HTH,
Matt
the jeeps run on the same gas as the imports, there is no regular gas anymore. an o2 sensor can last a long time, the best way to test is with a scan tool. you would want to see smooth voltage changes. not irratic ones.

jneary said:
the jeeps run on the same gas as the imports, there is no regular gas anymore. an o2 sensor can last a long time, the best way to test is with a scan tool. you would want to see smooth voltage changes. not irratic ones.

I ment regular unleaded, cut me some slack this is the first time I ever owned something that didn't say "Premium Unleaded Fuel Only" on the gas tank door.

And yes, you do want smooth voltage swings.

unleaded is unleaded, octane has no effect on o2 sensors, poorly maintained fuel/ignition systems do. and yes an o2 sensor can go bad you just cant predict. its kinda like a lightbulb.

Cool thanks guys...I would rather be safe then sorry so I will try to invest in two O2 sensors ASAP so i don't ruin my new cat....dont want to have to buy a new one of those for a while.

Joey B

I just replaced both of my O2 sensors last week. My Jeep has 132K and the sensors are the originals. I changed them for the heck of it because of the mileage on the odometer and because I'm driving up to Canada next month.

I thought that the engine was running pretty good. But since replacing the sensors, it is running much more smoothly and the gas mileage seems to have improved. I will find out more next month on my road trip.

Back