• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diff between?

ladywolf

UH-60L Jeep Chick
hey whats the difference between a lp and hp dana 30?

a low pinion has the pinion mounted below the center-line of the axle, on the lower 1/2 of the ring gear, putting the pinion closer to the ground and a lil farther away from the t/case output... a high-pinion is the same housing "flipped over" so the pinuion is mounted above the axle center-line on the upper 1/2 of the ring gear, increasing ground clearance and putting the pinion on a close "plane" to the t/case output...

mike

thanx sid....now i can go find out what my jeep has

what are the pros and cons?

You should have an HP D30...and we should tell you to do a search, particularly in the recent Mod Tech area, but since it's you ;) The HP D30 has makes better use of the ring and pinion gears by applying torque to the reverse cut gears. There's details in several threads, but basically it's better for the gears to be in the HP D30 front. LP D30s are inherently weaker...and the kicker is that the D44 front in a Rubicon is also LP, making it roughly as strong as an HP D30. Since they share most of the rest of the parts, you have another advantage that the front driveshaft angle isn't as steep and clears over rocks better.

kewl thanx jim:) i will go check next time i stick the heep on the lift (should be when i replace all the hardware on my damn tow package...idiot who installed it used the wrong hardware)

Ralph said:
All but the 2001 model XJ came stock with a HP D30.

Nope... the LP D30 actually started out on the 2000 model.

Back